Athletes of the Week: Liam Simpson ’18 and Mai Mitsuyama ’16

November 11, 2015 by Jack Greenberg, Sports Editor and Haley Mahar, Sports Editor

Liam Simpson ’18

Liam Simpson ’18
Men’s cross country (Cape Elizabeth, Maine)

“Liam ran a consummate race, getting out well, running patiently in lead pack, then making a strong move in the fourth mile to take the lead, gapping the second-place runner on the downhill a half mile from the end, and then holding off the fast finish of the Amherst runner with a kick of his own.”

– Pete Farwell ’73, Head Coach

Simpson’s strong performance this week is indicative of the deep talent men’s cross country has fostered this season. Winning the ECAC Cross Country Championships with an impressive 26:24 time on the Ephs’ tough home course, Simpson helped secure the men’s silver medal at the meet in spite of many teams racing their seven fastest runners. Defeating the defending champion from Amherst, Simpson has shown that this breakout performance means much is to come from him in the years ahead.

Mai Mitsuyama ’16

Mai Mitsuyama ’16

Women’s soccer (Natick, Mass.)

Liam ran a consummate race, getting out well, running patiently in lead pack, then making a strong move in the fourth mile to take the lead, gapping the second-place runner on the downhill a half mile from the end, and then holding off the fast finish of the Amherst runner with a kick of his own.

– Micheleyne Pinard, Head Coach