Women’s volleyball takes pair of NESCAC victories

November 4, 2015 by Elizabeth Sullivan, Staff Writer

Women’s volleyball (16-9, 8-2 in the NESCAC) went two for two last weekend, beating both Trinity and Wesleyan 3-0.

On Sunday, the women won their match against Trinity in three sets. The first set was close, with the Ephs winning with only a four-point margin of 25-21. The second set was even closer – the Ephs finished the set with only a two-point margin on the Bantams, winning 26-24. The third and final set showed Williams’ dominance, completely taking the wind out of Trinity’s sails. The women dominated their opponents with a 25-12 win.

Tri-captain Catherine Egan ’16 led the team in kills with 15 total and a hitting percentage of .278. Mia Weinland ’18 followed with eight kills and a hitting percentage of .667. Tori Jasuta ’17 led the team with 14 digs. Elizabeth Cromack ’18 and Morgan Richman ’19 also contributed for the Ephs. Cromack had 2 kills and Richman earned four total service aces.

In the game against Wesleyan on Saturday, Williams started with strong hits and kills by Egan and Jasuta. Wesleyan responded with impressive hitting, and both teams seemed evenly matched. Wesleyan pulled ahead in the first set with a three-point lead at 14-11. However, the Ephs pushed back and went on a four-point run that included kills from Egan and Roxi Corbeil ’19, as well as a service ace by Aly Ostrow ’19.

Wesleyan called the first timeout of the game down by one at 15-14. Back from the timeout, Shelby Fisher ’18 had a middle kill. After another run by Williams set the score at 20-15, Wesleyan called its second timeout. Back on the court, Egan got another kill. At 22-16, and 23-16, tri-captain Ryan Farley ’16 and Jasuta both got kills, respectively. Match point was a big kill by Jasuta with an assist from Farley. The Ephs won the set 25-19.

Williams continued the momentum into the second set and Farley got a service at 2-0. Down by 9-3 after kills by Corbeil and a service ace by Ostrow, Wesleyan called a timeout. Back from the timeout, Wesleyan went on a run after multiple attack errors from the women. Up 13-6, Egan got a kill from the middle. After a kill by Cromack at 20-10, Wesleyan called another timeout. Despite a three-point run by Wesleyan, Williams won the set 25-14. Match point was a service point by Richman.

The third set began with Wesleyan taking an early lead 3-0. At 3-2, Jasuta got a service ace. Wesleyan maintained their lead throughout the set. Up 18-14, Wesleyan called a timeout. Williams edged back in after the timeout. Up by one at 18-17, Wesleyan called another timeout. Egan got a kill in the middle and tied up the game 18-18. Tied at 20-20, the Ephs took the lead with a kill by Farley. The Ephs fought hard and won the set 25-20, thus sealing the match.

This victory over Wesleyan gave the women their third-straight Little Three title and their sixth-straight win over Wesleyan.

The women feel confident about the results they have produced thus far. “It felt great to close out regular season with the Little Three title and a solid win agaisnt Trinity,” Egan said. Everyone contributed and we played in a steady, confident way that gives us awesome momentum before heading into the NESCAC tournament next weekend.”

The women are looking forward to post-season play and the NESCAC tournament. The Ephs are reinging back-to-back NESCAC tournament champions. The women will play in the first round of the NESCAC tournament this Friday at Bowdoin in Brunswick, Maine. They are the second seed.