Women’s crew secures commanding victories at Head of the Fish

November 4, 2015 by Gemma Holt, Team Correspondent

The women’s 1V boat crossed the finish line at the Head of the Fish with an impressive time of 12:16.91 to earn gold last weekend. Photo Credit / Sports Information

Women’s crew capped off its successful fall season last weekend with a commanding performance at the Head of the Fish Regatta in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. Every rower that competed left the regatta with at least one first- or second-place medal, demonstrating the depth of the team.

The first race of the day was the Women’s Collegiate Varsity Eight, in which the women’s 1V raced in the same lineup that won the Head of the Charles on Oct. 18. The 1V crew powered through some steering mishaps to take first place with a time of 11:48.04, six seconds ahead of Rochester Institute of Technology.

The 2V raced next in the 2V Eight Race. Williams’ 2V took second place with a time of 12:19.52, seven seconds behind first-place Wesleyan. The 3V boat also competed in this event, placing sixth overall and first among the ‘B’ boats. It completed the course in 13:05.57, narrowly beating Middlebury’s 2V by less than a second, a tight race for the Ephs.

Racing together for the second time this season, the novice eight had another outstanding performance. The boat, a combination of recruited and walk-on athletes, won its second gold medal in a time of 12:16.91, beating second-place Wesleyan by five seconds

The Head of the Fish is also an opportunity for the Ephs to race in smaller boats. The team entered novice, sophomore and senior fours and two doubles made up of three juniors and one distinguished alumna.

The senior and novice fours won their events with times of 13:04.85 and 13:45.57, respectively. The sophomore four placed first among all the ‘B’ boats with a time of 13:33.77. The all-junior double took second in 13:58.78. All of these results were the culmination of many practices in smaller boats this season, which have helped the team make significant technical improvements as they have logged more time on the water.

“The team performed very well at the Fish this weekend,” co-captain Sophia Jannetty ’16 said. “We had great races across the program and returned home with quite a few taxidermy fish head trophies! We’re particularly excited about the successes of the freshmen, who brought home first place both in the novice four event and the novice eight event. All-in-all, it was a fantastic way to finish off our fall season and to launch us into winter training as we look forward towards our next race in the spring.”

The team has one more week of practice left, which will conclude in another session of fitness testing. After that, the women will be off the water until their spring break training trip in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

The Ephs will resume competition in April when they face off against the Pennsylvania teams of Drexel and Temple. From there, the women will have the opportunity to prove their might up against conference rivals Amherst and Wesleyan when they compete at Little Threes after the temperature warms up.