Football falls 20-17, handing Hamilton its first win in 25 games

November 4, 2015 by Matt Hogan, Staff Writer

Men’s football (2-4) fell to Hamilton 20-17 on Saturday, ending Hamilton’s 25-game, multi-year losing streak.

With 7:13 remaining in the opening quarter, the men got on the board first with a 37-yard field goal from kicker Bobby Webster ’18 after a long punt return by Mark Pomella ’16 gave the Ephs a great field position to start driving.

Hamilton answered on the following drive with a 41-yard touchdown pass by quarterback Cole Freeman to receiver Charles Ensley, giving the Continentals a 7-3 lead.

The Ephs regained the lead with 6:58 remaining in the half on a nine-yard touchdown pass from co-captain and quarterback Austin Lommen ‘16 to receiver Darrias Sime ’16. It was a 67-yard pass from Lommen to Pomella that put Williams in scoring position. The ensuing extra point was missed, leaving the Ephs’ lead at 9-7. This lead would stand as the teams headed into the locker room at the half.

Hamilton took back the lead on the opening drive of the second half with another touchdown pass from Freeman to Ensley, this time from 21 yards out, which brought the score to 14-9 in Hamilton’s favor.

The men responded with an 11-yard touchdown pass from Lommen to Sime with less than a minute remaining in the third quarter. Lommen threw to Adam Regensburg ’18 for the two-point conversion, giving the Ephs a much-needed 17-14 tally on the socreboard with the addition.

The Continentals scored on the following possession on a three-yard run by running back Kory Fogarty with 11:16 left in the game. Eph co-captain and defensive lineman James Howe ’16 blocked the ensuing extra point attempt to keep the Continentals’ lead to 20-17. Hamilton would not relinquish this lead for the remainder of the game.

Williams passed the ball efficiently, with Lommen throwing for 242 yards. Pomella gained 89 receiving yards and Sime notched 83 receiving yards of his own. The Ephs gained 63 yards on the ground total.

Elijah Eaton ’16 led the Ephs with nine total tackles including seven solos. Alex Mitko led the Continentals’ defense with 10 tackles, eight of which were solos. Discipline proved a problem for the Ephs, who finished with 11 penalties amounting to 104 yards.

The team is disappointed with the outcome of the game, a bout in which the Ephs largely expected a victory. “We are disappointed in the result and need to play with more discipline. Our effort and want to [win] are great but our focus and finish need to improve,” Head Coach Aaron Kelton said. “We are looking forward to finishing strong against our Little Three foes starting with Wesleyan this weekend.”

This victory is Hamilton’s first over Williams since 1996 and its first win in Williamstown since 1986. The men will travel to Middletown, Conn. to face Wesleyan this weekend in their first Little Three matchup of the season. The men then take on Amherst on Homecoming on Nov. 14.