Approval ratings- fall ’15

November 4, 2015 by Michael Green, News Editor

The Record conducted its semesterly approval poll of campus institutions via email last week. A number of ratings improved significantly since the previous poll conducted last spring.

The largest change was in the approval rating of the neighborhood system, which increased from 50 percent to 71 percent. The approval rating of the entry system increased from 77 to 88 percent, while the approval rating of the Record increased from 55 percent to 67 percent. The approval rating of College Council President Marcus Christian ’16, 86 percent, was higher than that of him and his co-president, Jesus Espinoza ’16, 77 percent. All other increases or decreases in approval rating were within the margin of error of the poll.

The poll asked respondents to “check whether [they] approve or disapprove of the job each person/organization is doing.” Respondents had a choice of approval, disapproval or no opinion. The approval ratings to the right compare the ratio of approval votes to total approval and disapproval votes.

The Record sent out the poll via email at 8 p.m. last Wednesday to 500 students randomly selected from the 2178 listed in the first-year facebooks for the classes of  2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. When the poll was closed at 9 p.m. on Sunday, 150 students, or 30 percent of those it was sent to, had responded, giving the poll a margin of error of 7.72 percent, for a 95 percent level of confidence.

The class breakdown of the poll was relatively even, with 36 voters from the class of 2019, 37 from 2018, 38 from 2017 and 36 from 2016.

The gender breakdown of the poll was as follows: 67 voters listed themselves as male, 81 voters listed themselves as female, and one voter listed themself as other.