NESCAC Snapchat story veteran teaches her ways

October 28, 2015 by Elizabeth Sullivan, Staff Writer

An anonymous contributor to Yik Yak articulates, “Williams snaps on the NESCAC story’s [sic] are pitiful. WTF was the ghost snap and drunk white girl eating yoghurt [sic] snap.” Love it or hate it, the NESCAC snapstory on Snapchat is here to stay. And in my case, I’m pretty obsessed. My snaps have been on the story four times, perhaps four times too many for some. As many people have been struggling to fathom how their “snapsterpieces” have failed to make the story, I thought I would catalog my successes, failures and successful fails.

As soon as the special NESCAC filter came out, my friends and I decided to immediately begin documenting our surroundings with the goal of achieving NESCAC fame. The first snap I submitted, a brief panorama of Paresky lawn with a description of the weather, was the first Williams post to make the story. Though it wasn’t my best work, timing is everything. Finding unique ways to document mundane, relatable activities is a recipe for success. Walking to class in the morning, going to practice in the afternoon and studying late at night are all generic activities that have a good chance of making it. That’s not to say that cool, unique talents like beat boxing won’t get you on the story, but in my case I needed to play to my strengths or lack thereof.

Photo Courtesy of Elizabeth Sullivan Sullivan shares a screenshot of a snapchat which was selected to appear on the NESCAC story.

The second rule of thumb is that pictures rarely make the story. The second snap I submitted, a video of my friend Tom [Young ’18] exclaiming “NESCAC Story! Let’s Go!” is a simple example of an enthusiastic video. Videos with commentary and faces are the way to go. Try to convince your friends to “do it for the snap” like they used to “do it for the Vine” when Vine was a thing. For example, the old Vine trends of the whip and nae nae have carried over to the NESCAC story. See the Conn. College SpongeBob-costume whip for reference.

The third story I submitted was a particularly embarrassing video of my face and my friend Mikaela [Cordasco ’18] who I bribed to say, “It’s a great day to be an Eph!” on our way to our 8:30 a.m. class. This snap made the story for three reasons: It was a video with dialogue, the timing was right and it was a simple (read: basic) activity.

The snaps that are chosen also need to link together in some way, so figuring out what those connecting features may be is another way to achieve snap-stardom. One observation, and one that many have made in regard to my stories specifically, is that being basic is advantageous to making the story. In a seasonal context, fall snapstories are always chosen. Playing with leaves, commenting on “foliage aesthetics” as one keen Bowdoin snapper did or “accidentally” spilling your pumpkin spice latté are all good places to start. Additionally, mentioning the day of the week, the weather condition, temperature, time or location are all very easy ways to make the story. My final attempt was a snap I made with my friends Jenny [Roach ’18] and Caroline [Hogan ’18] who dressed up as ghosts for Halloween. The success of this snap showed that activities related to upcoming holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving have a lot of potential. Keep cooking up good ideas, Snap Queens.

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Fat Salsa Daddy October 29, 2015 at 4:44 am

I’ve been an avid reader of “The Williams Record” since the day my daughter enrolled: all of about two months. The topics selected and writing displayed have all been first rate. “English Dept. Receives. . .” was straight out of “Confederacy of Dunces”. “Spring Street Blues” is consistently hilarious. This article, however, frightens me. Yik Yak, at Williams? Advice on how to get posted on Snapchat? I was hoping for this drivel to be left behind at high school. Will future articles discuss how to get “likes” on Facebook? how to accumulate Twitter “followers”? To be fair, the Purple Valley is also hosting panels to debate the Iran Nuclear Treaty and authors discussing Pulitzer winning literature. Perhaps this article was attempt to add diversity to a steady stream of high-brow intellectual events, a journalistic version of the “Uncomfortable Learning” program. If so, then it succeeded: it made me quite uncomfortable.

Reply