Football falls to Tufts 30-15

October 28, 2015 by Matt Hogan, Staff Writer

Connor Harris ’18 rushed for 26 yards and received for 31 yards in the men’s game against Tufts. Photo Credit / Sports Information

Tufts gained 435 yards of total offense en route to a 30-15 win over Williams (2-3) last Saturday.

Tufts got the scoring started with 7:57 remaining in the first quarter on a 24-yard run by running back Chance Brady to give them an early 7-0 lead. The Jumbos would not give up the lead for the remainder of the game.

The Jumbos extended their lead to 13-0 with 10:05 left in the second quarter on another Brady touchdown run, this time from one yard out. The kicker missed the extra point.

Late in the first half, the Ephs drove the ball deep into Jumbo territory, in part, due to an impressive catch by wide receiver Darrias Sime ’16, who reached over his defender to secure the ball on the one yard line. However, the Jumbo defense held strong on its goal line and forced a turnover on downs.

With their first possession of the second half, the Ephs cut the Jumbos’ lead to 13-7 after quarterback co-captain Austin Lommen ’16 found receiver Mark Pomella ’16 in the end zone for a 40-yard touchdown pass.

Tufts answered on the ensuing drive with a 37-yard field goal by kicker Will Holmquist, to extend the lead to 16-7 with 10:22 remaining in the third quarter. After an interception by linebacker Patrick Williams late in the third quarter, the Jumbos extended their lead further to 23-7 with a five-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Alex Snyder to receiver Mike Rando.

Tufts would score again on a Snyder rush from one yard out, putting its lead at 30-7 with 14:42 left in the game. Williams cut its deficit to 30-15 on an eight-yard end zone fade pass from Lommen to Sime with 11:54 remaining in the game. Lommen threw to receiver Colin Brown ’16 for the two-point conversion. This would cap Williams’ scoring for the day.

Tufts was very efficient moving the ball on the ground. The Jumbos racked up 250 yards rushing on the day. Snyder was solid in the passing game, throwing for 185 yards and a touchdown.

Williams moved the ball well in the passing game. Lommen went 33-53, a school record for completions in one game, and finished the day with 363 yards and two touchdowns. Sime notched 135 receiving yards and a touchdown. Pomella had a big day with 116 receiving yards and a touchdown.

However, the Tufts defense was strong in its rush defense, only allowing the Ephs to gain 35 yards on the ground; Connor Harris ’18 accounted for 26 of these yards.

Elijah Eaton ’16 led the Ephs’ defense with 10 tackles, including seven solos. Patrick Williams, who notched 11 tackles with eight solos, led the Tufts defense.

“We were our own worst enemy,” Head Coach Aaron Kelton said. “We need to play better and be more disciplined in all phases of the game.”

This loss drops the Ephs to 2-3 on the season. The men take on Hamilton at home this Saturday at 1:30 p.m.