Dining Services releases data

October 28, 2015 by Rebecca Van Pamel, Contributing Writer

The ’82 Grill will no longer sell beer or wine, as it previously had since its opening in 2007. Grace Fan/Contributing Photographer

The 21 meal plan remains the most popular option on campus, while the 50 meal block is the least popular, according to recent data for the 2015 fall semester released by Dining Services.

A couple of weeks into each semester, non-first-year students have the opportunity to switch their meal plans. The meal plan options include 21 meals per week, 14 meals per week, 10 meals per week, five meals per week or a 50 meal block. 

From Sep. 21 to 25, the time allotted to students to change meal plans, a total of 204 students opted to switch their meal plans, according to data provided by Robert Volpi, director of Dining Services. The majority of students who changed their plan switched to a lower number of meals per week. Of those 158 students, 46 opted to move off of campus meal plans entirely.

While a relatively small proportion of students selected the 50 meal block, its popularity has quadrupled since last semester, when only seven students opted for that plan. A similar change in purchasing habits occurred in 2014, when only eight students opted for the 50 meal block in the spring semester, and 29 students purchased the same block plan in the following fall semester. In addition, in 2013, while only 14 students purchased the 50 meal block in the spring semester, that number increased to 31 in the 2013 fall semester.

Volpi explained that, overall, more students choose the 21 meal plan in the fall semester than in the spring semester. Between fall 2013 and spring 2014, the number decreased from 1474 to 1351, with a corresponding increase in the number of students opting for the 10 meal plan from 284 to 332. The same shift occurred during the 2014-15 academic year, with 1491 students opting to purchase the 21 meal plan in the fall and only 1417 students choosing the same plan in the spring. Again, there was a corresponding increase in 10 meal plans, from 226 in the fall to 253 in the spring.

In addition to routine meal plan updates, Volpi noted that this semester the ’82 Grill stopped serving alcohol.

“We only make about $2000 a year from sales of beer and wine at ’82,” said Volpi, a trend which has been consistent since ’82 opened in 2007.

As a result, Volpi said, Dining Services decided to stop obtaining a license for the sale of beer and wine at ’82 Grill. The Log, which will open within the next two weeks, will sell beer and wine.