Women’s tennis ends fall season on high note

October 21, 2015 by John Toomey, Staff Writer

Women’s tennis traveled to Northampton, Mass., last weekend to compete in the NEWITT Tournament. The NEWITT Tournament is a doubles-only event with a 64-team draw and consolation brackets for the losers of each round.

The Ephs started off strong with four teams going undefeated on Friday, thus securing spots in the round of 16 on Saturday. Three of these teams – Mia Gancayco ’18 and captain Maya Hart ’16, seeded third; Julia Cancio ’18 and Leah Bush ’19, seeded seventh and Korina Neveux ’19 and Francesca Eluhu ’19 in exhibition – secured 2-0 records on the day. Juli Raventos ’18 and Linda Shin ’17, the No. 1 seed, had a bye through the first round and won the only match they played by a score of 8-2.

The duo of Carmen Saab ’19 and Alex Stone ’16 won their match in the first round before falling 8-2 to their Amherst opponents Jackie Calla and Maddy Sung in the second round on Friday. Calla and Sung were the fifth seed overall in the tournament. Despite the second-round loss, Saab and Stone continued to play in the back draw on Saturday.

On Saturday, Shin and Raventos, secured another three wins. A 9-8(3) battle against an Amherst team that had defeated Neveux and Eluhu in the previous round was the highlight of the day for the women.

After their 1-1 start to the tournament capped by a loss to Sung and Calla on day one, Saab and Stone went 2-1 in the back draw. This included an 8-5 victory over Amherst’s Joanna Booth and Camilla Trapness, a team they had lost to the weekend of Oct. 10 in the Middlebury Invite.

Gancayco and Hart moved into the fifth-place match and Cancio and Bush moved into the third-place match after losses on Saturday.

On Sunday, Shin and Raventos defeated their Amherst opponents 8-5 in the finals to secure first place in the East Draw. Bush and Cancio squared off against an Amherst team in the third-place match and overcame their opponents 8-2. Their only loss in the three-day tournament came on Saturday in the semifinals.

Gancayco and Hart fell in the fifth-place match 8-4, putting them at sixth place overall. 

In the back-draw, Saab and Stone shut out their Trinity opponents 8-0 to finish 4-1 on the weekend.

Eluhu and Neveux fell in an exhibition match 8-6 on Sunday. The two had started the weekend with a 2-0 record on Friday before taking a loss on Saturday.

On Oct. 10 and 11, the women competed at the Middlebury Invite. The competition featured teams from Amherst, the United States Military Academy at West Point, Middlebury and Williams. Shin, Raventos and Gancayco all went undefeated in singles play. Stone competed in ‘B’ Singles and went undefeated, overcoming three opponents. The weekend closed on a high note as doubles swept Middlebury with three wins. The closest matchup saw Hart and Saab battle their way to a 9-7 win.

The team is greatly satisfied with the conclusion of its fall season and is looking ahead confidently. “This doubles tournament was a great way to end the fall season,” Hart said. “Every pairing got to play six matches against really strong teams. It was great to see [Shin] and [Raventos] win the tournament, and I think we all know what area of our games we want to focus on in the off season. Now we have the spring season to look forward to!”

The conclusion of the NEWITT tournament serves as the end of the Ephs’ fall season. The team now looks ahead to the start of the spring season on March 12 at Skidmore.