Women’s golf claims undefeated season

October 21, 2015 by Sarah Hasselman, Team Correspondent

Women’s golf walked away with a win at the Ann S. Batchelder Invitational in Wellesley, Mass. last weekend.

The tournament began on Saturday. Phoebe Mattana ’18 lead the tournament with a score of 75 at the end of the day. Close behind her were both Sophie Kitchen ’17 and Tracey Kim ’17, tied for third with a 77s. Cordelia Chan ’19 and Elizabeth Gudas ’18 were tied for ninth at 80. All of the Ephs were in the top 10 after Saturday.

On Sunday, the Ephs worked together to shoot a 300. Williams, with a two-day total of 609, pulled ahead of NYU and Middlebury to win the tournament for the seventh consecutive season. Chan came back with a 73 to take third place. Kim and Kitchen shot 77 and 78, respectively, and placed fourth and sixth. Gudas shot an 82 to finish with a respectable two-day total of 162, although her score was dropped on Sunday. Mattanna shot even par, 72, on Sunday, for a two-day total of 147 and individual first place. Thus far, Williams has taken home the individual gold at every tournament  they have competed in this fall.

Two weekends ago, the Ephs took home first place at NESCACs. This was the first NESCAC Championship ever hosted for women’s golf. Kitchen bounced back from a low score on the first day of the tournament to take a 75 on the second and final day, leading the Ephs with overall low score. She was closely supported by Mattanna and Kim, who shot 79 and 77, respectively.

Chan took a score of 77 on Sunday to keep her position in first that she had grabbed on Saturday. With this gold, Chan won her second tournament of the fall.

“[Our success] is a great reflection of how great team dynamics and hard work — while having fun along the way — makes all the difference,” captain Kelly Kung ’16 said. “This weekend marks a close to a well-earned, undefeated fall season, and the team looks forward to improving to make this Spring our best season yet.”

The women have remained undefeated this fall. They are looking forward to the spring season.