Spring Street Blues 10-12-15 to 10-18-15

October 21, 2015 by Michael Green, News Editor

Monday 10-12-15

8:20pm Rice House: Campus Safety and Security (CSS) recieved a report of a fire alarm.  Students met officers outside and told them they had been cooking a group meal and set off the fire alarm.  Officers vented the kitchen and trash room. An officer checked the hood of the stove and neither the light or exhaust fan worked. Officers placed a work order for Facilities to correct this problem. Officers reset the system.

Tuesday 10-13-15

1:04 a.m. Doughty House:  CSS received a noise complaint. There was an unregistered event in the kitchen, but it was within guidelines.  The volume of the music was maxed out and the windows in the kitchen were open. Officers notified the group of the noise complaint and they turned off the music.

4:38 p.m. Susie Hopkins House: The Mechanical Trades Foreman told CSS about a plumbing situation at Susie Hopkins. A main sewer line at Susie Hopkins broke and the students had to relocate to another dorm for the evening as the water was shut off for the whole building. CSS notified the Housing Coordinator of Student Life and worked on finding rooms for the displaced students. CSS notified the Vice President of Campus Life and the Dean of the College about the situation.

Wednesday 10-14-15

3:28 a.m. Park Street: An officer drove to Park Street to meet a parent of a student who was concerned because of some text messages that he believed indicated his daughter may be in distress. The officer went to the student’s room with the parent. The two talked for a bit and the parent left relieved to find that his daughter was okay.

10:20 p.m. Cole Field: The Williamstown Police Department (WPD) informed CSS about two individuals standing around a vehicle at the eastern terminus of Stetson Road by the Lower Cole Field gate. WPD followed them and then stopped the vehicle on Lynde Lane. WPD identified the occupants of the vehicle as non-students, who claimed they were down there “stargazing.” When officers noted the marijuana and marijuana paraphernalia in the vehicle, they admitted to smoking marijuana, too.  WPD gave one of the occupants a civil citation for marijuana possession. 

Friday 10-16-15

1:31 a.m. Williams Hall: Officers responded to a report of a student neither responding nor waking up, but breathing. The officers activated 911 for Village Ambulance. The EMTs were able to wake the student enough to get her in a stair chair and into the ambulance, which transported the student to Berkshire Medical Center (BMC) North. 

1:55 a.m. Prospect: CSS received a report of a fire alarm. The annunciator indicated that the detector had been activated in a specific room.  Officers checked that room and noticed an odor of cigarettes and several cigarette butts in two trashcans. The room resident returned to the room when the fire system was silenced and told CSS that he had not smoked in his room and had only just returned to the room prior to the alarm

going off.

2:00 p.m. Roaring Brook Road: An officer responded to Roaring Brook Road in Williamstown to transport a sick student back to campus.  The student was out with a group of other students for a hike and became sick. The officer met her and a professor who escorted her out of the woods and to the road.

7:19 p.m. Morgan Hall: CSS conducted a welfare check of a student requested by friends concerned about flu-like symptoms. The friends decided to take her to BMC North to be checked.

11:41p.m. ’82 Grill: CSS received a request for a welfare check on a student who Dining Services staff suspected was intoxicated. Officers found the student in question was not intoxicated, but had stumbled over a chair in a crowded corner of the grill.

11:44 p.m. Sage Hall:  CSS received a request for a welfare check of an intoxicated student. The student could not remain responsive long enough to answer continued questions. CSS activated 911 for EMT response. Village Ambulance decided to transport the student to BMC North.

Saturday 10-17-15

2:23 a.m. Dennett Hall: Dispatch received a call from a worried first-year student regarding a missing pre-frosh. CSS made several phone calls and learned that the pre-frosh returned home earlier that afternoon. 

Sunday 10-18-15

12:43 a.m. Williams Hall: Security received an emergency medical call about a student having difficulty breathing. Dispatch activated 911. Village Ambulance arrived on scene and transported the student to BMC South. 

1:45 a.m. North Street: After leaving Mark Hopkins House and returning to the CSS cruiser parked between Mark Hopkins and Carter House, an officer noticed two males kneeling down at each rear tire letting the air out of the tires. The officer called out for them to stop and the two both stood up and started walking across the street and up the driveway of the Northside Motel. The officer pursued them and asked for back-up. Both individuals denied what they were doing and refused to be identified. The officer called WPD for assistance.  Once police arrived both were identified and admitted to letting the air out of the tires.