Men’s crew snags third at Head of the Charles

October 21, 2015 by Logan Jester, Team Correspondent

The men had their strongest rowing performance at Head of the Charles since 2011 this past weekend. Photo Courtesy of Sports Information

At the 51st Head of the Charles Regatta, the men’s crew 1V boat placed third overall in the collegiate eight category, just six seconds behind first-place Hobart. The 1V edged out both MIT and University of Virginia by less than a second, the two crews placing fourth and fifth, respectively.

It was a tenacious race; the men fought hard against a gusting headwind, particularly through the first third of the race. Through the middle of the race, the athlete’s carried themselves with poise with the pinch of exhaustion. As the crew dug into the well, they stayed composed throughout the entirety of the 4.8 km race. The 1V finished with a push in the last 800 meters, despite the crew’s fatigue. The 2V boat placed 32nd, three seconds behind Colgate and two seconds ahead of Georgia Tech.

Its rhythm disrupted by an increasingly chaotic wind, the 2V pressed out through BU Bridge, managing to find rhythm in the textured water which only added to the disorder of the conditions. Coming up through the “powerhouse stretch,” the 2V found more speed shooting out from under the Western Avenue Bridge. Out of Eliot Bridge, the crew emptied the tank into the last 800 meters, driving the race home.

Both crews are excited about the results and are excited about seeing how great a speed the momentum of the weekend will bring them. “Performance at the Head of the Charles is entirely a reflection of commitment to training over the summer,” Interim Head Coach Colin Regan said. “A number of our men turned up in September in good shape which really set the trajectory for the performance of the Varsity 8 on Sunday.  They have really shown themselves to be hungry and willing to work hard. Certainly it was a nice result for the team, but it’s in the past and now we have to move forward.  There’s a lot more work to be done, if we want to accomplish our goals in May.”

The men will conclude their fall season at Princeton on Oct. 30.