Women’s golf wins at Middlebury

October 7, 2015 by Sports Information

Women’s golf took first this weekend at the Middlebury Invitational. 

The women teed off at a 1 p.m. on Saturday in a shotgun start at the Ralph Myhre golf course. After a practice week of questionable temperatures and heavy downpours, Saturday evened out to clear blue skies and warm sun, with an admittedly brisk breeze.

Elizabeth Gudas ’18 led the team with a 78 at the end of Saturday, putting her in second place. Phoebe Mattana ’18 and Tracey Kim ’17 followed in a tie for third place with a pair of 82’s. Cordelia Chan ’19 was close behind with an 84.

The players who competed individually were Isabella Wang ’18, who shot 88; Maddy Abrahams ’18, who shot 96; Sarah Hasselmann ’17, who shot 84 and captain Kelly Kung ’16, who shot 89.

The women maintained their lead on Sunday for a two-day total of 642, 14 strokes ahead of runner-up Amherst. Sunday’s score of 316 was 10 strokes better from Saturday’s 326.

The tournament resulted in a four-way tie for first between Mattana, Gudas, Katherine Fortin of Middlebury and Devyn Gardner of Amherst. Rather than decide the tournament with a scorecard playoff, it was decided that the tournament medalist would simply be split between the four players. Mattana and Gudas mirrored their two-day scores for an identical score of 160: Mattana shot 82 on the first day and 78 on the second, while Gudas shot 78 on the first day and 82 on the second.

Many Ephs made improvements on Sunday. Abrahams improved by five strokes for a 91. Kim improved by one for an 81, while Kung improved by one for an 88. Hasselman posted an 82, a two-stroke improvement. Chan came in with an 84 on both days.

“It was really great having everyone travel to Middlebury this weekend,” Kung said. “The course was challenging but we all fought for each other and walked off the course feeling proud of our effort. This weekend is our Home Tournament at the Taconic, and we are excited to have the whole team playing once again!”

The women look forward to this weekend’s tournament which will be hosted at Taconic Golf Club. The women will tee off at noon on Saturday and 9 a.m. on Sunday.