Volleyball shuts out two NESCAC foes

October 7, 2015 by Elizabeth Sullivan, Staff Writer

Ally Ostrow ’19 totaled an astounding 13 kills in the womens’ match against Bates on Friday.

Volleyball (10-5, 4-1 in the NESCAC) continued its NESCAC dominance at home with an afternoon game last Saturday against Colby. After beating Bates on Friday in three sets (25-17, 25-21, 25-18) the women continued in their winning ways, beating Colby 3-0.
In the match against the Mules, the Ephs began with strong plays from starters Ally Ostrow ’19, Mia Weinland ’19, Roxi Corbeil ’19, tri-captain Ryan Farley ’16, tri-captain Katherine Lane ’16 and tri-captain Catherine Egan ’16. Usually an outside hitter, Tori Jasuta ’17 continued to showcase her defensive skills as libero. Lane started the match off by burying a middle kill. Despite a block from the Mules on her outside hit, Weinland continued to fight through the rally and converted an overpass into a point at 4-2. Weinland was a big presence on the outside pin and contributed extensively to the Ephs’ offensive force.
A block from Farley pressured Colby to take a timeout with the score at 11-4 in favor of Williams. Back from the timeout, the Ephs ran an impressive and successful slide with Egan at the middle and Farley with the set. Colby edged back in, but Lane and Corbeil dominated the offense. At 18-14, Egan ran a speedy one ball. Another slide from Egan put the Ephs up 20-16. A seamless block from Lane and Corbeil forced Colby to take another timeout down 22-17. The women proved that Colby’s timeout couldn’t slow them down. Weinland had back-to-back kills for the Ephs from the left pin to ultimately take the match 25-20.
The second set began steadily for the Ephs, as the teams were tied at 4-4. Farley dumped the ball to center court with the Ephs up by two at 7-5. Weinland continued to be a powerhouse for the Ephs with a strategic kill to line from the outside. Egan followed up with a big slide across the middle. A kill by Weinland put the Ephs at match point, and another kill from her sealed the deal 25-21.
The third set began with Colby taking control of the pace, and the women soon found themselves down 5-2. At 10-8, Corbeil had a big play getting up for multiple attacks for the Ephs. A service ace from Richman tied the score at 15-15 and forced Colby to take a timeout.
Farley opted out of a traditional set and dumped the ball to the hole in Colby’s defense, down 18-17. Farley dumped the ball again, with the Ephs still down 20-19. With a strong service by Jasuta at match point followed by an attack error by Colby, the women won the set 25-22.
On Friday, Williams took on Bates. Bates gained a two-point early lead that ended with a kill from Ostrow. The Ephs continued to attack and put the score at 13-7. Williams saw its lead drop to one and called its first timeout at 13-12.
Energized from the timeout, Farley dumped the ball to snag a point. Corbeil attacked from the right side to put the Ephs at match point. Weinland slammed down a kill to win the set for the Ephs 25-17. The women went on to win their second set 25-21 and the third set 25-18.
“We are coming off of a trip to [University of Wisconsin at Whitewater] that was a great opportunity for us to see a high level of competition and helped highlight some areas we need to work on,” Lane said. “Back at home this week we had some well-won matches and are looking strong as we move deeper into NESCAC play.”
Scores for the women’s game against New Paltz State came in too late to report. The women travel to Hamilton on Friday and to Middlebury on Saturday.