Men’s XC impresses at Paul Short Run

October 7, 2015 by Greg Ferland, Team Correspondent

Last Friday, men’s cross country competed in the 42nd annual Paul Short Run hosted by Lehigh.
The main collegiate event for the men was the Gold 8k Race featuring a field of 27 teams from all three NCAA divisions. Georgetown won the meet with a low score of 37 points, and Villanova took second with 56 points. The University of Guelph, from Ontario, Canada, placed third with 160 points. The men took 13th place to finish as the top team from Div. III for the third consecutive year. The men also bested many Div. I schools.
The individual champion was Villanova’s Patrick Tiernan, who crossed the line in 23:55. His teammate, Jordan Williams, was second in 23:58 and Jonathan Green of Georgetown was third in 23:59. The first runner not from Georgetown or Villanova was tri-captain Bijan Mazaheri ’16. Mazaheri took seventh with a new personal best of 24:09.
The Ephs’ second man was tri-captain Todd Ford ’16, who took 80th place with a personal best of 25:16. Ben Decker ’18 was the Ephs’ next finisher, finishing 91st in 25:21. Not far behind were Peter Hale ’17 who finished 97th in 25:25, Kyle Kistinger ’16 at 99th in 25:25 and Noah Williams ’17 at 100th in 25:26. Each of these runners turned in personal best times as well.
The Ephs’ seventh man for the second week in a row was Liam Simpson ’18. He crossed the line in 129th place in a personal best of 25:43. Simpson was followed by Griffin Colaizzi ’18 who finished 179th in 26:09, tri-captain Matt Tarduno ’16 at 207th in 26:28, Austin Anderson ’19 at 212th in 26:30 and Luke Hinz ’17 at 237th in 26:56.
Four additional Williams runners competed earlier in the day in the open race. Zeke Cohen ’19 led the way with a 46th place finish in 26:22.
Walker Knauss ’19 was 53rd in 26:30 and Zachary Dulabon ’18 took 57th in 26:32. Lucas Estrada ’19 rounded out that group by finishing 70th overall in 26:40.
The meet is one of the largest in the nation, with more than 5500 athletes representing over 400 teams from high schools, colleges and clubs.
This massive festival of cross country features more than a dozen races for men and women over the course of the day.
The team looks upon its performance with considerable regard. “[Cross country] races are won by tight packs of scoring runners, and our varsity [team] is now one of our best ever at that, from our second to seventh runners, with a different one leading that group each meet,” Head Coach Peter Farwell said. “[In this] race, only 10 seconds separated the pack, in times of 25:16 to 25:26. It’s great to have them place so high in a strong field of mostly Div. I teams.”
The men will be back in action this Saturday at the James Earley Invitational, hosted by Westfield State. Then, the team will travel to Amherst on Oct. 17 for the Little Three Championships.