Men’s soccer ties Camels

October 7, 2015 by Mandela Namaste, Staff Writer

Christian Alcorn ’17 protected the goal strongly with seven saves against Conn. College on Saturday. Photo Credit / Sports Information

In a game that lacked offensive rhythm, men’s soccer (3-4-1, 2-3-1 in the NESCAC) held on to tie 1-1 after 110 minutes of play against Conn. College last Saturday.

The first half of the game saw both sides searching for scoring threats as combined the two teams put just four shots on goal. Conn. College had two shots inside the 18-yard box in the first half that were easily handled by goalie Christian Alcorn ’17, but a rocket from the top of the box by the Camels’ Brian Manoogian in the 41st minute was the shot that had the most promise of a score. He collected a ball headed out of the box by an Eph defender and fired on the goal, forcing Alcorn to leap to tip the ball over the bar for a corner.

The Manoogian tester came a little over four minutes after the Ephs’ best threat in the opening 45 minutes. Eph back T. L. Guest ’17 played a ball over the top to Malcolm Moutenot ’17, who got a step on a defender and fired a low screamer from the right side of the box in search of the far left panel. Unfortunately, Moutenot’s effort proved too wide. The game went to half tied 0-0.

The men opened the scoring in the game when Harrison Fyke ’19 teamed up with Mohammed Rashid ’16. Racing down the right side of the 18-yard box, Rashid’s rolling pass found Fyke on the doorstep and the first year calmly slotted the ball into the net at 72:24.

It took the Camels just 5:49 to tally the equalizer at 78:13. Camel forward Mark Leon carried the ball to the end line to the left of Alcorn and sent a pass back towards the middle of the six-yard box where it found the right foot of Matthew Bitchell. Bitchell one-timed the ball past Alcorn’s outstretched hand to tie the game at 1-1.

As the game went to the first overtime period, both sides continued to fight for the game-winner. At 95:48, Conn. College almost ended the contest when they fired a low shot from just inside the corner of the box, forcing Alcorn to dive to keep the ball out of the goal. However, neither side could score in either overtime period, so the game ended in a 1-1 tie.

On the day, Conn. College goalie Austin DaCunah stopped four of five shots while Alcorn turned aside seven of eight attempts. This was the third consecutive game that the Ephs played double overtime in, and first one that they ultimately did not concede.

“Although we’re disappointed that we lost the lead and did not close out another match, there were several bright spots in the game and we showed progress in securing a hard-earned point in an important league match,” Head Coach Erin Sullivan ’96 said.

Next up for the men is an away match against non-conference RPI this Saturday at 6:30 p.m.