Bowdoin shuts out football

October 7, 2015 by Matt Hogan, Staff Writer

Coming off of an impressive first week victory against Bowdoin, football (1-1) fell short in its second game of the season against NESCAC foe Trinity. With 7:09 left in the first quarter, Bantam quarterback Sonny Puzzo found first-year receiver Bryan Vieira with a back-corner touchdown pass, giving the Bantams a lead which would not be relinquished as they went on to beat the Ephs 24-0.

The shutout was not due to a lack of Eph scoring chances. Down 14-0 after a Trinity 68-yard punt return for a touchdown, the men were able to drive the ball inside the Trinity five-yard line. Hope was high that the Ephs would be able to get back into the game, but the Bantam defense held strong and caused a turnover on downs after a fourth down tackle by Patrick Dorsey. The game went to half with the Ephs down 14-0.

The men once again had the ball inside the Trinity five-yard line in the third quarter after a long fumble recovery and run by linebacker Michael Berry ’18. Again, the Bantams thwarted the attempt at an Eph comeback as senior defensive back Paul McCarthy intercepted the fade pass to the back of the end zone, wrestling the ball away from the intended Eph receiver. With 2:03 left in the third quarter, the Bantams kicked a field goal to bring the score to 17-0.

The Bantams extended their lead to 24 with a nine-yard touchdown run by  running back Max Chipouras.

The Bantam pass defense was stout all day, holding the Ephs to 90 yards through the air. The Ephs, though, did run the ball effectively. The running back duo of ascending phenom Connor Harris ’18 and Noah Sorrento ’19 combined for 114 yards on the ground. Williams finished with 227 yards of total offense. Trinity rushed for 152 yards and threw for 156 yards.

Defensive back Alex Brandeis ’17 led the Ephs with six total tackles, including five solos throughout the bout.

In a change from last week, Williams employed a two-quarterback system in the second half with both co-captain Austin Lommen ’16 and Mark Pomella ’16 taking snaps under center.

“The score really didn’t show the game,” Head Coach Aaron Kelton said. “We had chances and did not execute well. The word I would use is inconsistent. We were able to do some good things but not  in a consistent way.”

The men are now .500 for the season. Williams will face Bates this Saturday in their first game this season on Farley-Lamb Field at 1 p.m.