Field hockey topples Conn. College in exciting 4-1 victory

October 7, 2015 by Hanna Beattie, Staff Writer and Emily Krueger, Staff Writer

Katie Gallop ’17 has taken three shots throughout her junior season wearing the purple and gold. Photo Credit / Sports Information

Field hockey (8-2, 4-2 in the NESCAC) took on Conn. College last Saturday, taking away a 4-1 victory. Tri-captain Kara Sperry ’16 had a goal and assist while Margaret Draper ’17 made six stops in goal.

Conn. College, who had come out and set the pace early in the game, forced Draper to make the majority of her saves in the opening stanza.

Conn. College’s Colby Vaillancourt had two great chances to score in the contest’s first seven minutes, but each time Draper came up big. The second shot was off a penalty corner, but Draper kicked it out of harm’s way.

The Ephs saw solid efforts from tri-captain Emma Grauberger ’16, Katie Gallop ’17, Kate Pattison ’18 and Julie Cochrane ’19. Pattison gave the Ephs their  1-0 lead when she batted a high pass from Kit Rosen ’17 out of the air and into the goal with 6:23 left before halftime. The Ephs took that 1-0 lead into the half.

The women came out firing on all cylinders in the second half, scoring three goals in the first 11 minutes and 37 seconds to build a four-goal advantage they would not relinquish.

Brigid Bruno ’17 got the second-half scoring underway when she received a pass from tri-captain Annie VanWagenen ’16 in the circle and fired a shot past Camel keeper Ryley van der Velde just 6:36 into the second half.

The Ephs kept the pressure up, scoring just 2:45 later when Sperry converted a pass from Alex Bennett ’17 for a 3-0 lead. Sperry was not done yet, as only 2:16 later, she received a pass from Hannah Goodrick ’17 off a penalty corner, and then dealt it back to Goodrick, who fired a shot from the left side of the goal past the Camels’ second keeper, Lauren Pianucci, for a 4-0 lead.

Katlyn Paiva put the Camels in the scoring column just a minute after Goodrick’s goal to account for the 4-1 final score.

Last Wednesday, the women took on Springfield. A goal from Goodrick in the game’s 13th minute turned out to be the difference as No. 19 Williams held on for a 1-0 victory.

Draper registered two stops in the win. The Ephs held a 13-to-seven advantage in shots, and an eight-to-seven margin in penalty corners. Springfield goalkeeper Timarie Villa finished the contest with three saves.

Williams got on the board just 12:06 into the contest, when Goodrick sent in a penalty corner to VanWagenen, who fired a shot on cage. After Villa stopped the initial chance, the ball bounced back to Goodrick, who found the back of the net to give the Ephs a 1-0 advantage.

Springfield, which had five of its seven shots in the second half, was relentless, but Draper and Williams’ defense held their chances at bay all game.

“Despite a tight first half, our second half against Connecticut College was a great team effort,” tri-captain Emma Grauberger ’16 said. “We played cohesively all over the field and capitalized on several key scoring opportunities. I think it was some of our best play all season. Connecticut College was a tough opponent and provided us with an opportunity to improve our NESCAC standing. This game gave us the confidence we need moving into what will definitely be a challenging game against Skidmore College.”

The results from last night’s match-up against Skidmore came in too late to report.  The women will next take on Little Three rival Wesleyan this weekend in Middletown, Conn. The game will take place on Saturday afternoon at 12 pm. After that, Williams will play Hamilton at home at 6 pm on Oct. 21.