Volleyball takes on competition in Midwest

September 30, 2015 by Elizabeth Sullivan, Staff Writer

Co-captain Katherine Lane ’16 notched three spikes and one kill in the women’s game against Carthage. Photo Credit / Sports Information

Volleyball (7-3, 2-1 in the NESCAC) began the University of Wisconsin at Whitewater Invitational with a four-set win against University of Wisconsin at Stout and a three-set loss against University of Wisconsin at Whitewater.

Williams’ first match ended in a four-set victory against UW-Stout. The women had a strong start against UW-Stout with kills by Ally Ostrow ’19, tri-captain Catherine Egan ’16 and tri-captain Katherine Lane ’16. Down by two at 11-9, the women took a timeout. Williams continued to attack at the net, but UW-Stout completed multiple kills. UW-Stout continued its run and ultimately won the set 25-16.

The second set began with kills from Tori Jasuta ’17, Egan,  and Ostrow. At 6-6, Mia Weinland ’19 entered the game. Williams went on a three-point run from 12-10 to 15-10 with kills by Ostrow and Corbeil. Williams stayed strong and won the set 25-17.

The third set began with high energy and began with a block from Jasuta and Corbeil at 2-1. The match continued with narrow point margins between the teams. Up 15-13, Egan had a kill from the middle. Corbeil and Lane teamed up for a block at 16-14. UW-Stout fought back and tied the game at 16-16. Up by one late in the set, Williams decided to take a timeout. The timeout proved to be a good strategic decision, because the Ephs came back strong for match point and Jasuta earned a kill from the outside. The Ephs took the set 25-23.

The fourth set started off evenly matched with ties at 5-5, 8-8 and 12-12. After some fast-paced play, the Ephs were up 21-16. Corbeil got a kill to put the score at 24-18, and then got another kill at match point. The women took the set 25-19 and won the match against UW-Stout in four sets.

The second match of the day for the women was against UW-Whitewater, the hosts of the invitational.

The first set began evenly with a tie at 7-7 and strong attacks from both sides. Williams took a timeout after being down 14-11. Unfortunately, Williams could not respond to UW-Whitewater’s strong servers and struggled defensively. UW-Whitewater defeated the women in the first set 25-14.

Williams hoped to improve on defensive inconsistencies during the second set. However, the women started the set stagnant and were trailing UW-Whitewater throughout the majority of the set. The Ephs had a good run from 11-8 to 11-10 with a kill from Jasuta, service ace by Farley and block by Jasuta and Egan. However, UW-Whitewater followed with a larger run to widen the deficit to 17-12. Despite the women’s best attempt to fight back in the second set, ultimately UW-Whitewater won the second set 25-22.

The third set opened with a strong middle kill by Egan because of a skilled set from Farley. The Ephs fought for the duration of the set but, ultimately, the Ephs couldn’t recover from the large point gap early on. UW-Whitewater eventually beat the women in a three-set match 25-14, 25-22, 25-18.

On the second day of the invitational, Williams suffered two losses, one to Carthage in three sets and one to Millikin in an exciting five-set match.The first set against Carthage proved the women’s opponents to be strong at the net. Down 16-12, Jasuta remained strong offensively and got a kill. Ostrow and Farley also got kills at 17-13 and 17-14. The Ephs soon diminished Carthage’s lead after a big block by Egan and Anna Spellman ’17 at 18-16. Despite multiple kills from Spellman the women couldn’t gain enough momentum and Carthage won the first set 25-20.

Williams started the second set strong, going up 5-3. After a service ace and multiple kills from Carthage, the women took a timeout down 13-9. Corbeil got a kill at 16-11 and tried to narrow the point deficit for the Ephs. However, after multiple attack errors from the women, Carthage took the set 25-16.

Unfortunately, the Ephs began the third set trailing, ultimately losing 25-11 and giving Carthage the win.

In the match against Millikin, Spellman and Farley also attacked at the net to put the women up by two at 6-4. Millikin gained a three-point lead at 13-10. After a kill by Spellman, the Ephs decided to take a strategic timeout and hopefully shift the pace at 15-10. However, Millikin went on a strong run after the timeout and quickly advanced the score to 21-10. The Ephs lost the set 25-13.

The women continued to struggle at the beginning of the second set, ultimately losing to Millikin 25-19.

The third set began on a promising note with Lane and Morgan Richman ’19 joining forces for a steady block at 4-1. The Ephs then came out of a late timeout strong with a crucial kill from Richman to win the set 25-21.

The fourth set proved incredibly competitive and a nail-biter until the very end. The Ephs worked incredibly hard, winning 26-24. The fifth set was  ultimately a disappointing 15-13 loss, giving Millkin the victory.

Earlier in the week, the women defeated Amherst in four sets 17-25, 25-13, 25-16, 25-22. The Ephs handed the Jeffs their first loss of the season.

“We’re very fortunate to have the opportunity to travel out of region,” said Egan. “Although we didn’t get the results we wanted, we learned a lot about ourselves last weekend, and we will bring these lessons with us as we resume regional play this week, working on our consistency from point to point.”

Results from last night’s match-up against Union came in too late to report. The women will next take on Bates at home on Friday at 8 p.m. before hosting Colby on Saturday at 2 p.m.