Spring Street Blues 9-21-15 to 9-27-15

September 30, 2015 by Michael Green, News Editor

Monday 9-21-15

9:00 a.m. Williams Hall: Dispatch recieved a tiplne submission concerning “two suspicious people who just entered Willy C and [were] seen walking into the common room. They had entered by grabbing the door behind someone leaving.” Officers responded and walked through the building. They found two custodians who reported just coming in through the C-Entry without swiping. They were returning from break. Both were wearing T-shirts that indicated they are staff members with the facilities department.

2:45 p.m. Parsons House:  The Campus Safety and Security (CSS) director met with two Facilities technicians who encountered a dog that looked like a large pit bull. The dog had crashed through screens and barked aggressively when the technicians attempted to enter the basement. The owner of the dog arrived and took control of the dog, reporting that he would take the dog off campus. The dog had damaged two screens. CSS took photos to document the damage.

Tuesday 9-22-15

5:45 p.m. Cole Field House: Officers responded to the lawn on the southeast side of Cole Field House on a report that a student had collided with another student and had injured his nose. 911 was activated to check if the student’s nose was broken. Village Ambulance responded and transported the student to Berkshire Medical Center North (BMC).

8:00 p.m. Officers responded to the intersection of Route 2 and Park Street for a report of a student choking. Dispatch had recieved a call from a parent reporting that her son was choking. Dispatch activated 911. Upon arrival, officers found the student standing at the intersection, able to talk, and no longer choking. The student said he was fine and that he had vomited earlier. Village Ambulance responded and evaluated. The student signed the refusal for treatment waiver.

Wednesday 9-23-15

8:38 p.m. Spencer Art: A student had accidently cut her finger while cutting cardboard with a utility knife. Officers responded. Village Ambulance was called and the EMTs cleaned and bandaged the cut. The student did not want to go to the hospital.

Friday 9-25-15

11:23 p.m. Hoxsey Street: Officers were dispatched to the lawn area on Hoxsey Street next to Lambert house for an intoxicated student. CSS activated 911. Officers found a student sitting on the lawn with other students who were helping him sit up. The student admitted to drinking large amounts of beer and other alcohol before leaving Mills around 8:30 p.m. He had no recollection after that time period and was unsure how he got to Lambert House. Village Ambulance transported the student to BMC.

11:23 p.m. Lambert House: While responding to the 911 activation on the sidewalk near Lambert House, CSS officers observed a large unregistered party in Lambert House. There were students drinking on the front and back lawns, as well as inside of the building. Two unidentified males were seen urinating on the north side of the building. They ran when CSS vans pulled up to the house. There were approximately 100 students inside the building and another 25 outside of the building. The event was in violation of several College policies, as well as town alcohol and open container laws. CSS broke up the party. Officers told four Lambert House residents about the College’s alcohol policy and the open container ordinance for the town of Williamstown. The residents were very cooperative.

11:41 p.m. Spring Street: A Williamstown Police Department (WPD) officer requested that the CSS supervisor on duty meet him on Spring Street. The WPD officer observed two students leaving the apartments above Goff’s Sports with open containers of alcohol. The students were both given a written warning for an open container violation and told that if they are seen again with an open container that they will be summoned to court.

Saturday 9-26-15

1:01 a.m. Agard House: At WPD request, dispatch sent a CSS Officer to Agard to locate the owner of a vehicle that had been flipped over and was off the road a short distance off campus. No one was found with the vehicle. The police determined that the vehicle’s owner was a student living in Agard. The owner was not found in Agard, but friends told the officer that he had been there with another student who had been involved in the accident, and that they were returning to the scene. The on-duty CSS supervisor drove to the scene to see if he could locate the students walking back to the vehicle to assist them. The on-call dean and director of CSS were notified of the accident. The students returned to the scene. Neither one of the students was injured in the accident. A tow truck was called to remove the car from the ditch.

1:05 a.m. Hopkins Forest Rosenberg Center: Dispatch sent an officer to assist and transport sudents back to campus. The students had planned to use the Outing Club cabin for the night. They stated they changed their minds about staying and wanted to return to campus.

1:03 p.m. Cole Field: An officer responded to a call about a traffic issue. A bus was blocking the roadway.  There were vehicles parked on both sides of the roadway and the bus was not able to fit. A student was contacted about moving his or her vehicle to allow for passage. The vehicle was moved and the bus was able to continue down the roadway.

9:55 p.m. Dodd House: A student reported a cut hand from a razor blade. Officers assisted, slowing and eventually stopping the bleeding. The student was given an ice pack to keep the wound cold in order for the blood to clot. No further assistance was required.

Sunday 9-27-15

1:39 p.m. Perry House: Dispatch sent an officer to Perry to transport a student to the Health Center. Upon arrival, the student was not outside ready for transport. The officer then went inside and found the student in her room and suffering from abdominal pain. The officer had dispatch activate 911. Village Ambulance transported the student to BMC.