Men’s tennis competes fervently in ITAs at home

September 30, 2015 by Mike Smith, Contributing Writer

Co-captain Alex Schidlovsky ’16 was seeded No. 8 in doubles last weekend with co-captain Jose Raventos ’16. Photo Credit / Sports Information

Men’s tennis (1-0) performed well on the first day of the men’s Intercollegiate Tennis Association Regional Championships (ITAs). The tournament, one of the most important individual tournaments for the Ephs in the fall, took place at Williams at the Torrence Hunt Tennis Center. Teams from all across New England traveled to Western Massachusetts to compete in the tournament. The Ephs had a strong showing but were ultimately unable to follow through to the finals.

After the first two rounds of play, four of the Ephs earned the right to compete in the next round. Co-captain Jose Raventos ’16 was seeded No. 5 going into the competition and defeated Jon Heindenberg of Amherst and Pat Ordway of Bates. Brian Grodecki ’18 defeated Swan Ko of MIT, a No. 9 seed, and Ryan Bunis of Brandeis. Sachin Raghavan ’18 topped Jeremiah Ryser of Wheaton and Michael Liu of Wesleyan, a No. 6 seed.

In doubles, Raventos and co-captain Alex Schidlovsky ’16 were seeded No. 8 and defeated Brian Granoff and Jeff Cherkin of Brandeis, and Kyle Wolfe and Jerry Jiang of Bowdoin.

Though the men played admirably in the second day of ITAs, no Ephs ultimately advanced to the next round of competition.

In singles, Grodecki lost to Noah Farrell of Middlebury. Raventos defeated Jake Roberts of Wesleyan but also lost to Farrell. Raghavan lost to Luke Tercek of Bowdoin.

Michael Solimano and Aaron Revzin of Amherst eliminated Raventos and Schidlovsky from doubles competition. Solomon and Revzin were the No. 1 seeded pair, and went on to win the doubles championship.

Though the results were not sensational, the men remain confident about the year ahead. “I thought it was a great weekend overall,” Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 said. “All of our guys competed well against a very tough field, two of them falling to the eventual winner, and one of them falling to the eventual finalist. Our doubles weren’t as sharp as we’d like, but I think we have a lot of room to grow, meaning that in a good way. I’m excited to play another dual match this Friday at home, and one more event at Dartmouth next weekend, so the team can go into the off-season knowing exactly what to work on. I know they’re excited as a group for this year. A huge thanks to all the people that helped run an awesome event: athletic trainers, sports information, facilities and our admin office.”

“Overall, this weekend was a great opportunity to go out there and compete against the best players in the region,” Schidlovsky said. “Although we didn’t do as well as we wanted to, we got some matches under our belt and were able to pinpoint the areas that need improvement. We look forward to playing against RPI this Friday.”

The men will next compete this Friday against RPI in Williamstown at 4 p.m. The Ephs boast a strong team and are looking forward to more competition. The following weekend, the team will travel to Hanover, N.H. to participate in the Dartmouth Invitational. The tournament at Dartmouth marks the final competition that the men will take on this fall before resuming competitive play in the spring.