Football opens season with big win

September 30, 2015 by Matt Hogan, Staff Writer

Co-captain Austin Lommen ’16 was 20-30 for 288 yards in the men’s game against Bowdoin. Photo Credit / Bowdoin College

Football (1-0) is off to an auspicious start in its 2015 fall season. With 12:31 left in the fourth quarter and a 21-0 lead, Amyhr Barber ’19 intercepted Polar Bear’s quarterback Tim Drakeley’s throw in the end zone to effectively end the Polar Bear’s chance at a comeback and all but seal the game for the Ephs last Saturday.

Connor Harris ’18 put the Ephs up early with a 10-yard touchdown run coming at 8:02 left in the first quarter. The men would not relinquish that lead for the remainder of the game. Harris rushed for 71 yards on 20 carries.

The Ephs’ offense had no trouble moving the ball through the air. Co-captain and quarterback Austin Lommen ’16 was 20-30 for 288 yards and two touchdowns on the day. Wide receiver Adam Regensburg ’18 served as an effective threat for the Ephs and notched five receptions for 79 yards and one touchdown, all of which came in the first half.

After taking a 14-0 lead into halftime, the Ephs wasted no time extending their lead in the second half. The men forced a punt on Bowdoin’s opening drive before efficiently driving 77 yards in eight plays and extending their lead to 21 with a Lommen 18-yard touchdown pass to star running back Greg Plumb ’18.

The Polar Bears got on the board late in the fourth quarter with a 21-yard pass from Drakeley to wide receiver Nick Vailas, making the score 21-7 in favor of the Ephs. Drakeley was 21-39 with 249 passing yards. The Ephs recovered the ensuing onside kick.

Eph running back Noah Sorrento ’19 ended the scoring on the day when he ran 34 yards to pay dirt with 56 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter, answering the Bowdoin touchdown. With the score at 27-7, the Polar Bears blocked the Ephs’ PAT, leaving the final score of 27-7.

The Ephs ran for 150 yards on the day and threw for 288 for a total of 438 offensive yards, while the Polar Bears threw for 248 yards but could only manage 52 yards on the ground and 300 yards in the game.

The Ephs were in control of the game from the start and managed to control the ball 17 more minutes than the Polar Bears.Linebacker Russell Monyette ’17 led the Eph defense with a team-high six tackles that included five solos.

The team is greatly satisfied with its early results. “Going into last week we were looking for consistency in all three phases of the game,” Head Coach Aaron Kelton said. “We put together good drives on offense, defensively we made stops and kept Bowdoin in long yardage situations and on special teams we covered kicks well so we are pleased to have the win. I thought both the offensive and defensive lines played well the entire game.”

This win extends Williams’ win streak over Bowdoin to an impressive four games. Williams heads to Trinity for its next game this Saturday at 1:30 pm. From there, the men will take on Bates in Williamstown on Oct. 10 at 1:00 pm before heading up north to Vermont for a matchup against the Panthers of Middlebury on Oct. 17 at 1:30 pm.