Field hockey splits NESCAC bouts

September 30, 2015 by Hanna Beattie, Staff Writer and Emily Krueger, Staff Writer

Margaret Draper ’17 secured six saves for the Ephs in the team’s game on Saturday against the Jeffs. Photo Credit / Sports Information

Field hockey (6-2, 3-2 in the NESCAC) split games with Amherst and Bates last weekend, downing Bates 3-0 and falling to archrival Amherst 4-0. Against Bates on Sunday, Hannah Goodrick ’18 tallied two goals and Rachel Brissette ’17 added another to power the women to the win.

On Sunday, although neither team capitalized in the first half, Williams had some offensive chances and controlled the play to keep Bates on its heels.

The Ephs would later use this momentum in the second half to put the ball in the back of the cage and prevent the Bobcats from getting on the scoreboard.

At the 37:50 mark, off of the women’s first penalty corner of the second half, tri-captain Annie VanWagenen ’16 received the ball at the top of the circle and rifled a shot towards the net. Brissette deflected VanWagenen’s shot, redirecting the ball between the legs of Bobcat goalie Cristina Vega and into the back of the net to put the Ephs up 1-0.

The Ephs struck again at 53:42 off of another corner. After Vega blocked the initial shot from VanWagenen, Goodrick gained possession of the ball close to the net, directly in front of Vega. With not much room to work with, Goodrick managed to maintain possession of the ball and slip a shot past Vega and into the net, giving the Ephs a 2-0 advantage.

Goodrick added another goal at the 64:37 mark. Kit Rosen ’17 received the ball a few feet outside the top of the circle off a corner and blasted a beautiful shot towards the left side of the net.

The ball escaped all of the defensive traffic and headed towards Goodrick, who stopped it and shot it past Bates’ goalie to score the third and final goal of the game.

Williams finished the game with 11 shots on goal and 10 penalty corners. Bates had three shots on goal and four penalty corners. Goalie Margaret Draper ’17 made three stops for the Ephs and Vega had eight for the Bobcats.

On Saturday, the Ephs fell to the rival Jeffs in a 4-0 match-up.

The game was dedicated to lung cancer research and the field was decorated accordingly. A brief ceremony dedicating the game preceded the first whistle.

Amherst struck first at 8:44, when Sara Culhane passed the ball to Shannon Tierney who blasted a shot past Draper.

At 27:58, the Jeffs tallied another goal. Although Draper made a beautiful diving save to block a shot taken off a corner, Amherst regained possession in front of the cage and Katie Paolano sent the ball to the back of the net.

Toward the beginning of the second half, Amherst received a penalty corner resulting in a penalty stroke for Caroline Fiore. Fiore lifted the ball past Draper at 42:28 scoring the third goal of the game.

At the 58:19 mark, Amherst’s Annie Turnbull got possession of the ball about 10 feet outside of the circle in the center of the field. She carried the ball just inside the circle before blasting a shot past Williams’ defense and into the net.

The Ephs finished the game with three shots on goal and four penalty corners to the Jeffs’ 12 shots on goal and nine penalty corners. Draper had six saves for the Ephs and Emily Horwitz had two saves for the Jeffs.

“As a team we had an emotional weekend,” tri-captain Kara Sperry ’16 said. “After a tough loss on Saturday, we rallied together and absolutely dominated our Sunday game against Bates. I have a lot of confidence in how we rebound after tough games and see our next competition as an opportunity to prove to ourselves and our coaches that we can be better.”

The women will take the field at Springfield tonight at 7 p.m. On Saturday, the women will host Conn. College at 1 p.m. at home. The women will follow this game with a match-up against Skidmore before rounding out the rest of the regular season with games against NESCAC opponents Wesleyan, Hamilton, Tufts and Middlebury.