Women’s tennis tops Wellesley

September 23, 2015 by John Toomey, Staff Writer

Women’s tennis (2-0) had its first dual match of the year on Sunday, blanking Wellesley on its way to an easy 9-0 victory.

The day began with doubles team Julia Cancio ’18 and Leah Bush ’19 defeating Wellesley’s Rosanne Hu and Carina Chen by a score of 8-1. The teams of Mia Gancayco ’18 and captain Maya Hart ’16 as well as Linda Shin ’17 and Korina Neveux ’19 also secured doubles victories with scores of 8-5 and 8-6, respectively. Alex Stone ’16 and Carmen Saab ’19 overcame their Wellesley counterparts 8-2, though as the No. 4 doubles match this did not count toward the final score.

In singles, Stone started things off by downing Hu 6-1, 6-1. Neveux followed suit, shutting out Tristan Lorich in the second set for a final of 6-2, 6-0. Cancio, Shin, Gancayco and Juli Raventos ’18 also secured singles victories.

“The match today was especially exciting because it was our first dual match of the season,” said Hart. “Wellesley pushed us and forced us to play very solid and competitively. Every member of the team contributed to the positive energy and intensity. Dual matches are special in the fall because they are so rare, so we are looking forward to our next chance to play as a team. Looking ahead we will continue to work on our point construction and execution.”

“We are going to continue to work on our execution this week in practice as well as some set plays for our doubles teams,” Head Coach Alison Swain ’01 said. “It was exciting to play our first home dual match of the year this past weekend. The team energy was great, and everyone competed very well. We still have room to improve, but we are in a good place at the start of our fall season.”

This match follows a strong Eph showing at the Lindsay Morehouse Invitational the weekend of Sept. 12 to 13. Next, the women will compete for three days at the ITA Regional Championships. The three-day event is hosted by Middlebury this Friday to Sunday.