Spring Street Blues 9-15-15

September 23, 2015 by Michael Green, News Editor

Tuesday 9-15-15

1:41 p.m. Greylock Hall: Campus Safety and Security (CSS) received a report of someone trapped in the elevator. Officers managed to get the door open.  The elevator made a lot of noise. Electrical Trades was advised of the problem and will respond.

Wednesday 9-16-15

4:07 p.m. Sawyer Library: CSS received a report of people being stuck in an elevator. Officers responded. Upon arrival, dispatch notified officers that the people were out of the elevator. They reported the elevator made strange noises and did not stop at activated floors. A work order to have the elevator serviced was submitted.

5:12 p.m. Park Street: CSS received a report of possible suspicious activity. Two older males were reported sitting in a red truck just watching people. Officers located the red pick-up truck and identified the two. The two were delivering food to Paresky.

5:39 p.m. Paresky Center: Staff reported a male in the men’s bathroom making loud noises and sounds in need of help. They attempted to speak to the person through the door, but got no response. Officers responded and found no one needing assistance.

Friday 9-18-15

3:50 p.m. Hollander Hall: Security recieved a report of a bird.

4:45 p.m.  Poker Flats: 911 had been activated for an active grill fire behind Poker Flats. Officers responded to find a four-burner gas grill on fire. The grill was approximately 15 feet away from the building. The Williamstown Fire Chief arrived seconds after CSS officers. Officers were directed to move students further away from the grill to approximately 100 feet away. Officers activated a pull station in Poker Flats to evacuate the building in the event the propane tank exploded. Williamstown firefighters began to spray water on the grill.  After several minutes, the fire department cut the tank from the grill and moved it to a distance of approximately 150 feet away, continuing to spray the tank. 

6:45 p.m. Poker Flats: While replacing the fire extinguisher at Poker Flats, an officer noticed a keg near the back door. The tap hose was placed through the window. Next to the keg on the floor was a half-full, 1.75 liter bottle of tequila. There was a group of students outside on the lawn. The responsible owner was identified. The keg was seized and tagged.

Saturday 9-19-15

1:38 a.m. Chapin Hall Drive: A Junior Advisor (JA) spoke with an officer and CSS Dispatch concerning an uneasy feeling about a group of females getting inside a passenger van. She had approached the van and found the drivers were non-students that were associated with the band in concert earlier and they had several students in the van. They were not the performers from Goodrich Hall earlier in the evening, yet may have worked with them. The van drove off with a group of College students inside. The JA took a picture of the license plate. All officers were sent to sweep the area to find and identify. Phone calls to department and college administrators were made as well as WPD . The van was located in the parking lot of Spencer House. Two associates of the performers who were at Goodrich Hall were identified and explained what they were doing after the show on Chapin Hall Drive.

8:50 a.m. Chapin Lot:  Security received a report of a hit and run. A person stated he had parked his car in the Chapin lot closest to Chapin Hall Dr. that morning at about 5 a.m.  He had returned to the vehicle about 8 a.m. and it was fine.  He again returned around 8:40 a.m. and the passenger side back bumper had been hit by what appeared to be a white vehicle. WPD responded and took a report.