Men’s soccer defeats Bowdoin in close bout

September 23, 2015 by Eva Fourakis, Sports Editor

Men’s soccer (3-2, 2-1 in the NESCAC) won a 1-0 squeaker over Bowdoin last Sunday on a goal 75 minutes into the game by Greg Andreou ’19. The win pushed the men back over the .500 mark after they fell to Colby on Saturday in the first leg of their Maine road trip.

The men started out the game against Bowdoin strong thanks to a spirited attacking game and combo play. By the end of the first half, the Ephs had taken six shots and consistently pressured the Polar Bears’ back line.

However, as the second half started, Bowdoin began to find its groove on the field. The Polar Bears passed fluidly and found their way past the midfield for two on target shots in the first 15 minutes.

However, the Polar Bears ran into the stone wall that was Eph goalie Christian Alcorn ’17, who made some key saves throughout the second half. The game went to halftime tied 0-0.

The men’s offensive play did not decline much after halftime. The Ephs kept up the pressure and showed desire and toughness in and around the penalty box. This pressure reached a high point late in the game when Mohammed Rashid ’16 took a free kick in Bowdoin territory that tipped off one of the team’s defenders and onto the foot of Andreou, who tapped in his first goal of his collegiate career.

After Andreou’s goal, the Williams defense needed to preserve the lead. The men did not disappoint. Alcorn showed his mettle over the last 15 minutes, making four terrific saves to keep Bowdoin scoreless, securing the win for Williams and posting a clean sheet. On the day, Alcorn denied six shot attempts, while Bowdoin goalie Steve Van Siclen stopped three of four Williams shots on goal.

The team is thrilled with its performance against Bowdoin. “[There was a] tremendous response from our entire team on Sunday,” Head Coach Erin Sullivan ’96 said. “It’s always difficult to respond after an overtime loss, but credit our leaders and players for quickly turning the page and summoning a gritty performance and a pivotal result.”

Unfortunately, the men could not find similar success earlier in the week, conceding their match against Colby on Saturday. With just 31 seconds to play in the second overtime period, Colby’s senior leader and captain Tim Stanton headed in a corner kick on a well-placed ball from fellow captain Dan Vogel to end the game with a dramatic flourish.

The men started the game off strong, penetrating the Colby defense early and often for some great attacking chances, culminating just before the half in a beautiful Rashid strike off a feed from Brandon Dory ’17 in the 44th minute to put Williams up a goal going into the locker room.

However, Colby was not about to lie down and surrender to Williams. As the second half progressed, the men started to make defensive mistakes, and Colby capitalized, playing more fluidly and finding more open space, eventually resulting in a Jeff Rosenberg goal in the 78th minute to even the score.

At that point, the score showed an even match, but the momentum had undoubtedly shifted in favor of the Mules. Throughout the end of the second half and overtime, the Ephs showed signs of wear, hurting them and helping the Mules greatly, leading to Stanton’s game-winning goal in the final minute of play.

The men look to build on the success they found last week in its game on Saturday against archrival Amherst.

Then, the men will face off against Bates in Williamstown on Sunday before playing Conn. College on Oct. 3 in what is expected to be a great home matchup.