Field hockey steals 3-2 victory from Colby

September 23, 2015 by Hanna Beattie, Staff Writer and Emily Krueger, Staff Writer

Alex Bennett ’18 scored two goals in the women’s close matchup against Colby last Saturday.

Field hockey (4-1, 2-1 in the NESCAC) split games in Maine last weekend, falling 6-0 to Bowdoin on Sunday after beating Colby 3-2 on Saturday.   

The Polar Bears got off to a strong start on Sunday as they netted the first goal just 2:37 into the game. Off of a corner, Polar Bear Kimmy Ganong shot the ball past Eph Margaret Draper ’17. As play continued, so did the pressure; the ball stayed mainly in the Ephs’ defensive half. At 26:05, Bowdoin struck again with a goal by Rachel Kennedy.

With 30 seconds left in the first half, Bowdoin received another corner. Although the initial scoring attempt was unsuccessful, Kennedy got possession of the ball in front and pushed it through the defensive traffic for her second goal of the game. The Ephs went into the half down 3-0.

Going into the second half, Bowdoin’s offensive pressure did not let up. Just 2:20 into the half, Ganong received a pass from Kennedy from the right side of the field. Ganong dribbled the ball towards the net and rifled a shot past Draper for her second of the game.

The women kept Bowdoin from striking again until 64:52. Off the penalty corner, the Polar Bears demonstrated some impressive interior passing before the ball was deflected in by Kennedy. That goal gave Kennedy her third hat trick in the past three games and put the Ephs behind 5-0.

The final goal of the game was also a result of a penalty corner. Alexa Baumgartner fired the ball from the top of the circle where Mettler Growney then tipped it past the Ephs’ defenders and goalie. Bowdoin ended the game with a 6-0 win, tallying 17 shots and 17 penalty corners in comparison to Williams’ three shots and one penalty corner. Draper had nine saves for the Ephs.

On Saturday,  Alex Bennett ’18 scored two goals while Hannah Goodrick ’18 added one goal and assist in the victory. Tri-captain Annie VanWagenen ’16 notched one assist. Draper finished with nine saves in the victory.

Williams scored its first and third goals on penalty corners. The first gave the Ephs a 1-0 lead at halftime. Goodrick’s corner pass went directly to VanWagenen, who dished to Bennett on the left for the score.

Bennett displayed some talent with a nice run to score the second goal just 51 seconds into the second half. She started on the right side near the Williams bench and moved directly to the middle of the field for a hard run toward goal. This goal luckily put the Ephs up 2-0.

Colby fought back, however, scoring two goals in 10 minutes to tie up the game at two apiece. Williams did not let this faze them, however. On the game winner, Goodrick took the penalty corner and came back into play and scored on a close shot, giving the Ephs a 3-2 victory.

The team is enthused by its recent success and feels confident heading into the remainder of the season. “With five games under our belt already, we are really looking forward to the big gmes we have coming up this week and next weekend,” Sperry said. “Being able to fight through all 70 minutes to pull off a win like we had to do in our Colby game on Saturday showed the character of our team. We don’t back away from a challenge and will continue to push ourselves to climb the NESCAC. Our Amherst game this Saturday in particular will prove to be a great test of our mental and physical toughness.”

Scores from yesterday’s game against Smith came in too late to report. The women take on rival Amherst this weekend at Weston Field at 11 a.m.