Ephs triumph over Camels 3-2

September 23, 2015 by Elizabeth Sullivan, Staff Writer

Tri-captain Katherine Lane ’16 secured the final point in the women’s 3-2 win over Conn. College.

Volleyball (5-2, 1-1 in the NESCAC) had its first home weekend, battling Connecticut College to a five-set win and falling to Tufts 3-1.

In the game against Conn. College on Saturday, Tori Jasuta ’17 took control of the pace with a dynamic cross-court kill from the outside to put the women up 4-3 in the first. Immediately afterward, Ally Ostrow ’19 tipped strategically to the center of the court to put the Ephs up 5-3. Tri-captain Ryan Farley ’16 converted an overpass into calculated attack, working with tri-captain Katherine Lane ’16. Anna Spellman ’17 proved to be a force in the back row, hitting from back right to make the score 11-6. Several more shots and conversions, culminating with a service error from the Camels at match point, gave the Ephs a first-set win, 25-20.

The second set began with a long combination of attacks from both teams that ultimately landed the Ephs on top after a decisive line judgment by libero Caitie Bennell ’17. Jasuta had an explosive outside attack to the back corner of the Camel’s court to make the score 5-1. At 8-2, the Ephs showcased their presence at the net with thundering blocks from both Lane and Jasuta. After a series of attacks from the Camels, the Ephs dropped the set 25-19.

With one set apiece, both teams were ready to fight hard to win the third set. Roxi Corbell ’19 entered the game strong with a booming kill at 4-1, giving the Ephs a huge boost in momentum and energy. The Ephs consistently added points to the board before Farley and Lane teamed up for a momentous block to add a point, making the score 22-6 in favor of the Ephs. Ostrow ultimately went in for the kill and the Ephs took home the set 25-8.

The fourth set was off to an energetic start with a kill from Corbell. Jasuta showcased her attacking skills with a powerful kill at 17 all. Farley showed another tricky tip to put the Ephs at 19-20. After multiple kills from the Camels, the Ephs failed to respond effectively and lost the set 21-25.

The match boiled down to the decisive fifth set. The Ephs played with poise and strategy, seeing crucial kills from Corbell and Jasuta. Lane finished the set with a strategic kill and the Ephs won the match 15-11.

On Friday, the women dropped a competitive match to Tufts, winning just the second set. The first set was a back-and-forth affair with Williams jumping out to a 7-2 lead. Tufts fought back to even the score at 13 and then built a 17-13 lead behind back-to-back kills. The Ephs battled back to tie things at 18 and had a chance to win with Ostrow serving up 25-24, but Tufts executed a powerful kill to tie things up. Angela Yu put the Jumbos up 26-25 with a kill before the Jumbos closed out the set.

After Williams tied the match at one set apiece, the two teams continued taking the lead back from one another for the first portion of the third set. An ace from Bennell tied things at 14, but back-to-back kills from Tufts’ gave the visitors a 17-16 lead.

Although a smash from Jasuta allowed Williams to tie the set at 18-all, Tufts made another kill to gain the advantage. The Jumbos led 22-20 when Katie Kim and Mckenzie Humann combined for a critical block that made it 23-20. It was 23-22 when the Jumbos called a timeout to regroup. They went on to win the following two points on Eph errors to take a 2-1 set lead. Tufts closed out the victory with a 25-13 win in the fourth set, outscoring Williams 18-8 over the final 26 points. 

“It was good to pull out a win on Saturday,” Lane said. “We have a great group of girls but with a young team we are still learning how to put the cohesion and consistency part into play. I’m excited to see where we’re headed. It just keeps getting better and better each week.”

The team takes on arch-rival Amherst tonight at 7 p.m. in Chandler Gymnasium and then travels to Wisconsin for four games.