Captain’s Corner: Catherine Egan ’16

September 23, 2015 by Eva Fourakis, Sports Editor

Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 1.46.25 PMCatherine Egan ’16

Volleyball

New York, N.Y.

Residence: Spencer

So you’re famous for the collages you have up in your room. Can you tell me a little about how those came into creation?

Freshman year I had a roommate, and we lived in a very small room, so there wasn’t much space for personal decoration. So when I learned that I would be living in a single sophomore year, I thought I really had to step it up. [Laughs.] I’ve always loved looking through old photos and family albums and I thought to myself, “What better way to decorate my room than surround it with faces and places that I love?”

What are some of the places featured on your posters?

I’m from New York, and I love snapping pictures as I’m walking through the streets, just to get a glimpse of city life. So I have some pictures of my favorite streets in New York. Also, I just spent a semester abroad so I have a bunch of beautiful pictures from Florence. Mostly places where I’ve had a memorable experience.

What was your favorite meal you had when you studied abroad in Florence last year?

Oooh, good question. Okay this is actually a good story. A pizza did once almost bring me to tears. I had just come back from a weekend trip to Rome [hair flip], and I was exhausted. My friends told me I had to go to Central Market and have a Naples-style pizza. And I actually felt some tears of joy as I had the first bite of that pizza. But my favorite part about Florence was having such an immersive experience in another culture, especially because I lived in a homestay. I loved walking through the streets of Florence, hearing the language, seeing the sights, smelling the smells…

I know you’re an art history major. How did being in a city like Florence entice your artistic side?

I loved being surrounded by art and history everywhere I went. It’s a small city, but even after four months there I know there is still so much to see. I also rediscovered my love of photography during my semester abroad.

That sounds amazing. And now you’re back on campus and your season is in full swing. Pun intended. What’s your earliest memory of playing volleyball?

I began playing volleyball when I was in fifth grade. I was tall. And I was the only one who could serve overhand over the net. [Laughs.] That did a lot for my ego [winks], and it kept me working. I was hooked immediately. 

Where did you play when you were growing up?

Fifth through eighth grade I played for my middle school team before playing for my high school team ninth through twelfth grades. I also started playing for a club team called NYC Juniors after eighth grade. That team was winter through spring so that was when I started playing volleyball year-round.

And now you are a senior captain for volleyball at Williams! The time has flown by.

Yes it certainly has. Whoosh!

What is the biggest change you’ve seen in the Williams volleyball program from your freshman year to your senior year?

It’s been really fun to be part of the growth of the Williams volleyall program here since freshman year. We’ve made the commitment to hold each other accountable to the tangible and intagible work we put in, on and off the court. I’ve also noticed a huge increase in locker room dance/jam sessions, which is probably one of the greatest leagacies my class could leave.

What is an important lesson that you have learned at Williams College so far?

Can I give you a couple options? One would be making the most of every minute at Williams because the time has flown by. Second possibility would be investing in the friendships you have and the people around you. Third is to not let your schoolwork overshadow your life. Make sure you’re taking time to do other things.

You have a pretty famous motto that your friends know you for. What is it?

Be who you are. Want what you have. Do what you can.

That’s a really cool saying. Where did you learn that?

It’s something my parents used to say. It’s one of those things that I always heard but didn’t actually apply or fully understand until I got to college.

That’s a great motto. And last but not least … I hear you’re part of an Aspen Grove. Can you tell me a little about that?

My freshman year entry, Sage B, had a motto that Chris Wayland ’16 came up with before First Fridays freshman year. He gave a pretty memorable speech that ended: One two three Sage B! Four five six family!