1 in 2k: Megan Greiner ’18

September 23, 2015 by Maddy McFarland, Features Editor

I met Megan Greiner ’18 on my first day back from WOOLF as a first-year last year. Immediately I found her friendly, warm-hearted and hilarious. In the next year, I caught her in a banana costume in the lobby of Mission, actively followed her summer adventures on Instagram and accidentally ruined her plans to crash the fieldhouse the night before WOOLF this year to “troll freshmen.” This week, I got to sit down with one of my favorite goofballs on campus to find out what she has recently been up to and where in the world she has been.

Maddy McFarland/Features Editor

Where are you from?

I’m from a little town called Greenwood, Minn., which is on Lake Minnetonka, so basically I live in the western suburbs of Minneapolis.

Where do you live on campus?

I live in Garfield, which is, you know, a really interesting, recently-condemned building, but, you know, we love it. [Laughs.] My group number was fifth to last in the sophomore class. We’d heard some horror stories about Garfield, and most of them are pretty true. There’s a rat problem. The floorboards aren’t even. I dropped water in my room the other day and the water actually ran down my floor. When you walk around, it feels like you’re in a trick house. There’s also one bathroom per 15 people, which is interesting. But, I don’t know, I’ve learned to love it.

So what do you do on campus?

I am on the alpine ski team. It’s my second year. I’ve skied all my life, so it’s kind of a natural continuation of that. I did Frosh Council as a [first-year], and then sophomore year I was like, I need to start getting more involved. So I joined [All Campus Entertainment]. I’m on the newly formed marketing committee. And I think I need to help out more civically in the community. I don’t know how yet, but we’ll see. [Laughs.]

I admire that. So you were skiing this summer in New Zealand, right? How long were you there?

I was in New Zealand for a month, from around late July to late August … It was a nice training trip. It was cool to be with a lot of U.S.-team skiers and see what they were doing. I was skiing with a lot of university ski teams, all that fun stuff. It was an awesome experience. However, New Zealand is interesting because [homes] don’t have very good insulation. You’re skiing all day, you’re cold, you want to go home and be warm, and it is freezing! There’s not a lot of good central heating, they have small radiator things and their windows are single-paned, so basically you can feel wind going through buildings. You’re basically cold all the time.

What was your favorite thing you did in New Zealand?

I went bungee jumping. It’s kind of surreal. So you basically pay, it’s kind of [a] ridiculous amount of money, and they strap you. And there wasn’t really that much there, and if you don’t go on three – they say one … two … three – you can’t do it and you don’t get your money back. Once you commit, you need to go. I went to the highest one in New Zealand. It’s called Nevis Bungy. And New Zealand is where bungee jumping originated. It was 134 yards, which is 400 feet, almost. Basically you get trammed out to this platform, and the platform is free standing, so you’re just looking out over this gorge of rocks. So if they miscalculate anything, you’ll be hitting rocks. [Laughs.] So like, you’re strapped, you’re ready to go and they’re videotaping you. So they want you to, like, smile, and you’re trying to smile, and you’re over the edge. And they tell you not to look down, because if you look down you won’t go, so you’re looking over the horizon. They say three and you jump … One of my friends who went before was like, “Just know that you’re gonna keep falling.” You’re like “Okay, I’m falling,” and then a couple of seconds go by, and you’re like, “Still falling … Still falling! Oh my god, oh my god!” And then when it catches it’s kind of fun, but still scary.

Tell me about high school.

My class size was 718, so yeah, my high school is bigger than this college. But it was awesome, I loved high school. Some things we did at my high school … We had pen pals. I had two pen pals, one from China and one from Holland. It’s a program called International Studies, so my pen pal from China came to Minnesota for a month, which was really fun, but I feel bad because she came all the way from China to go to the United States, and she had to go to Minnesota. [Laughs.] With that program I didn’t get to go to China, but you learn all about the Chinese culture, like how it’s taboo to give someone a green hat. It means that their girlfriend or wife is cheating on them. Then I did get to go to Holland my junior year and stay with my pen pal. It was a very interesting time.

I think I’ve heard a funny story about you and your high school prom?

I did track in high school and we had a really big track meet over prom. So some girls went to prom but they had to leave really early, and I was like, I don’t want to deal with that. So I didn’t end up going to prom junior year, and instead, after the race, we’re eating in Perkins. And keep in mind, it’s a Friday night, and prom is going on. And then, just as we get our food, this police officer comes into the Perkins and is like, “Excuse me, how old are you ladies?” We broke the curfew rule sitting in Perkins while prom was going on. [Laughs.] And he was like, “I’m gonna have to call your parents.” So he calls my parents, my dad is just like, “Yeah … okay.” We got written up, eating at Perkins, doing nothing wrong, not underage drinking. It was a slap in the face, but it was really funny.

Why did you decide to apply to the College?

I wanted to ski in college, and I always wanted to go out east. Being from the Midwest, a lot of people stay regionally, like most of my friends. I really wanted to branch out and start totally fresh and challenge myself more academically. I came here and absolutely loved it, loved the team. My friends did warn me that the people out east are mean.

Have you found that to be true?

No, not at all. [Laughs.] But … in Minnesota, maybe I’m stereotyping, but people will say hi to you and smile at you no matter what, and people here are definitely friendly, but it’s not the same. People look down and don’t say hi, which was always weird for me. I don’t know if I’m being too friendly or not. And there’re all these Minnesota-isms, like people have a tendency to say sorry too much and aren’t necessarily super blunt. You’d never tell your friend that they look fat or whatever, not that they would over here. Some people here are really honest over everything, which is actually really refreshing.

Well, one thing I admire about you is that you’re really enthusiastic. I think I remember an incident with the “Spoons Game” last year?

[Laughs.] Ah, the spoons game. The spoon game was basically like an Assassins nerf game. Everyone in the [first-year] class got a spoon, and the spoon said whom your target was. So the game wasn’t really hyped up in our grade last year, so a couple of friends and I decided we were just gonna do it, and we were gonna troll, like mess around. Because sometimes at Williams, you know, people take things a little too seriously; they don’t want to goof around as much. So we were like, “We’re going to dress up and spoon people we don’t know.” I dressed up as a banana, Joyce [Wang ’18] dressed up as a gorilla, and Arielle [Rawlings ’18] dressed up as Angry Birds and we went around Mission and were terrorizing people. Mine was a girl I’d never seen before, so we went to her entry and tracked her down. She was in her room, and we got one of the girls in her entry to knock on her door, and we spooned her. After you get one person you’re like, I have to get everyone! We couldn’t find anyone, though, so it was pretty anti-climactic.

What are you most excited for about sophomore year?

I’m most excited for kind of learning more about myself and developing my own identity, which sounds very Williams-y. But I still don’t really know where I’m going. I mean, I’m here, which is a really good start, but I think it will become a lot more cohesive. I’m just excited to be with my class and meet new people.