Women’s tennis dominates at invitational

September 16, 2015 by John Toomey, Staff Writer

091615_Tennis_TNM

Juli Raventos ’18 masterfully defeated her Wesleyan opponent in singles last Saturday.

Women’s tennis hosted Middlebury, Skidmore, Vassar and Wesleyan last weekend in the two-day Lindsay Morehouse ’00 Invitational. The tournament is named in honor of former Eph tennis captain and standout Morehouse, one of three Williams alumni who died in New York City in the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Morehouse was a teammate of current Eph Head Coach Alison Swain ’01.

The Morehouse Invitational is a two-day flighted round-robin event in both singles and doubles. The draw is set up as a round robin where the winners of each round are fed in to play winners, and the losers of each round are fed in to play other losers.

On Day One, the first-year trio of Carmen Saab ’19, Leah Bush ’19 and Francesca Eluhu ’19 earned their first collegiate wins in the singles round. Juli Raventos ’18, currently ranked No. 5 nationally in singles play, overcame Wesleyan’s Eudice Chong who was coming off her undefeated freshman year. The match was decided in a tiebreaker, 10-7.

In doubles, the defending NCAA Div. III Champions and current top-ranked power tandem of Linda Shin ’17 and Raventos finished 2-0 on the day, as did the new doubles team of returning All-American Julia Cancio ’18 and Bush.

The second and final day of the Morehouse Invitational took place on Sunday. Pushed inside due to inclement weather, teams from Middlebury, Skidmore, Vassar and Wesleyan squared off in one round of singles and one round of doubles.

Though this marked the end of the tournament, no overall winner was named. Instead, the tournament is meant to usher in a new season and allow teams to compete with their entire rosters.

The Ephs closed out a successful tournament with Raventos defeating Wesleyan’s Victoria Yu to bring her to 3-0 in singles on the weekend. In doubles, Mia Gancayco ’18 and co-captain Maya Hart ’16 defeated Victoria Yu and Chong of Wesleyan to get to 3-0 on the weekend as well. The duos of Shin and Raventos as well as Bush and Cancio also finished the weekend undefeated.

The strong record of success seen this past week is reflective of the strong work ethic and skill set that have defined the team’s performance in all its iterations throughout Swain’s tenure as head coach. Having won the Div. III National Championship last year in a beautiful final showdown against Emory, the women confidently look ahead to the remainder of the fall season and, subsequently, the spring, in the hopes of bringing home a 10th national title to the Purple Valley.

The women are once again ready to dominate this season in all contests. “Across the board we played smart and competitive tennis over the weekend,” Hart said. “The first tournament gives everyone the chance to get some matches under their belt. We came out with great energy and had some very impressive wins. Moving forward we will work on our execution, especially in preperation for one of our most exciting matches of the year [against] Amherst on October 3.”

The women now look toward a home match against Wellesley on Sunday at 2 p.m. They will begin their away schedule on Sept. 25 at the ITA Regional Championships at Middlebury. Subsequently, as Hart mentioned, the women will face off against the Amherst Jeffs on Oct. 3 before heading up to Vermont to compete in the Middlebury Invitational the weekended after, Oct. 10-11.