Women’s golf preps for season

September 16, 2015 by Jack Greenberg, Sports Editor

Coming off a historic spring season in which the team secured first place at the 2015 NCAA Div. III Championships, women’s golf eagerly anticipates its upcoming fall season, looking to capitalize on the success it found last year and establish a winning tradition.

Though the team, the first ever women’s golf squad from a college in New England to win a national championship in any division, graduated two Purple Valley phenoms, last year’s co-captains Shelby Shote ’15 and Caroline Sawin ’15, in the spring, the women expect to start mightily with great talent from both returning players and new additions. In addition to the captainship of Kelly Kung ’16, the team can expect impressive leadership on the course from dynamic players like Sophie Kitchen ’17, the bronze medalist at NCAAs last spring, and Phoebe Mattana ’18, a 2015 Women’s Golf Coaches Association All-American Scholar. Both Kitchen and Mattana also earned WGCA Div. III Honorable Mentions for their top-10 finishes at last spring’s championship.

The team can also anticipate strong performances this year from two additional NCAA top-25 performers: Sarah Hasselman ’17 and Tracey Kim ’17. Maddy Abrahams ’18 and Elizabeth Gudas ’18 will also head back to the links this season and will find two new additions to the team in Cordelia Chan ’19 and Isabella Wang ’19. Interim Head Coach Bill Kangas, who took over the team following the departure of former Head Coach Erika DeSanty to Princeton in 2014, will continue to serve at the helm of the squad this season in the twelfth year of the program’s existence at the College.

The team is excited about the prospects for this season. “Given the strength and dedication of this team and our two amazing new first-years…we are all confident that we can build on last season’s momentum and make this one our best season yet,” Kung said. “Although our goal is to go to Nationals, we still have to focus on the process which is having a fun and productive practice every single day. My hope is to work with Coach Kangas to develop communication within the team to help everyone develop their games in a motivating, yet comfortable and supportive environment.”

The women will first compete this season at the NYU Invite hosted by Spook Rock Golf Club on Saturday and Sunday. The team will play in four additional tournaments over the remainder of the fall season.