Spring Street Blues 9-4-15

September 16, 2015 by Michael Green, News Editor

Friday 9-4-15

7:30 p.m.  A student called Campus Safety and Security (CSS) and reported that she was with one of the Williams Outing Club (WOC) groups and a student in her group felt ill and requested transportation to campus. The caller said the sick student had a fever and was nauseous. The WOC group contacted the Director of WOC and made transport arrangements.

10:49 p.m. Hoxsey Street: A student reported that there were two suspicious-looking, intoxicated males walking on Hoxsey Street near the Thompson Health Center. Officers responded and found the two individuals. One was very intoxicated and verbally aggressive. The Williamstown Police Department (WPD) responded. Both were non-students. Officers from WPD took one of the males into protective custody and escorted the other off campus.

Sunday 9-6-15

11:58 p.m. Brooks House: There was a large group of students at the south basement door of Brooks. There were also several large groups of students walking in the direction of Brooks. Officers went into the basement to check for an unregistered party.

Monday 9-7-15

5:34 p.m. 71 School St.: CSS received a report of squirrels in the attic. The tenant reported that there are five young squirrels living in the attic. CSS placed a work order for Facilities to check first thing in the morning.

9:56 p.m. Poker Flats: CSS found a fire pit with an active fire. An officer stopped to speak with students. The group was hoping to make s’mores for its entry, but the group had not sought out any permission to have the fire in the pit. Officers explained that events at the fire pit need the permission of the Office of Safety and Environmental Compliance, as well as the Williamstown Forest Warden.

Tuesday 9-8-15

6:30 p.m. Hubbell House: CSS received a report of several wasps in a student room. The student had just arrived and found six wasps in his room. The student is allergic to wasps. An officer removed all six wasps. It was difficult to determine where the wasps entered the room. A work order was placed for pest control to check the room for their entry points.

Wednesday 9-9-15

12:04 a.m. Susie Hopkins: CSS received a report of an intoxicated student wandering off into the woods behind the house. Students were worried because he appeared to be very intoxicated and was mumbling nonsense as he wandered through the house. While officers were on site, a student received a phone call that the student in question had been brought back to his dorm. Officers responded to that dorm to do a welfare check on the student. 

12:33 a.m. Lehman Hall: CSS received a noise complaint. Officers found a large group on the south side of the building talking loudly and screaming. The group appeared to grow, with more people arriving from an apparent event in the basement. An officer warned the group that they would either have to quiet down or leave the area due to a noise complaint. Several people did leave the area and the others that remained agreed to be quieter. Officers entered the basement to request that the music’s volume be lowered.

12:59 a.m. Lehman Hall: An officer responded to a second noise complaint for the group of students in the quad area. The group was told about the second complaint. The group reported that they would be ordering pizza and relocating to a different area.

1:26 a.m. Hubbell House: Officers responded to a report of students on the roof of Hubbell House. Several students described how they got up on the roof. A work order was submitted to see if this roof could be made less accessible for safety purposes.    

11:55 a.m. The Knolls: A minor motor vehicle accident was reported to CSS. WPD also responded. A College vehicle was struck by a Crescent Creamery vehicle.

Thursday 9-10-15

2:00 a.m. Brooks House: 911 responded for an intoxicated student in a bathroom of Brooks House. Paramedics evacuated the student and transported the student to Berkshire Medical Center North Campus (BMC North). Custodians were called and responded to clean the bathroom.

Friday 9-11-15

11:43 p.m. Chandler Gym: An officer working the event at Chandler gym requested a 911 activation. A student was intoxicated and vomiting. EMTs evaluated the student, then transported to BMC North.

Saturday 9-12-15

12:15 a.m. Fitch House: CSS received a report of an intoxicated student. 911 Village Ambulance responded. The ambulanced transported the student to BMC North.

1:18 a.m. Chandler Plaza: An intoxicated student was reported by a CSS Supervisor. 911 was activated. Officers and Village Ambulance responded. The student signed a refusal and was escorted to the dorm.

12:05 p.m. Poker Flats: A student reported a problem with wasps at Poker Flats. Officers were directed to several wasps next to the northeast reader door (outside). There were also several wasps in the A-Entry basement common area. Officers checked the entire exterior of Poker Flats and did not notice any other wasps.  The on-call Custodian was called and stated that he is not certified to spray the wasps.  He said to contact another custodian who is certified.

4:00 p.m. Greylock Quad: CSS received a tipline submission stating there was loud singing that was audible from Mark Hopkins. An officer walked through Greylock Quad and did not notice anything out of the ordinary. There were Frosh Revue auditions in the Greylock Makepeace room. Officers spoke with a couple of students concerning the complaint.