Off the Airwaves with WCFM: ‘E•MO•TION’

September 16, 2015 by Maddie Swarr, WCFM Contributer

Carly Rae Jepsen's latest dance-pop album is no masterpiece, but it's unabashedly fun to listen to. Photo courtesy of Vice.com.

Carly Rae Jepsen’s latest dance-pop album is no masterpiece, but it’s unabashedly fun to listen to. Photo courtesy of Vice.com.

E•MO•TIONCarly Rae Jepsen

Go ahead and laugh, but Carly Rae Jepsen is out to steal the charts (and our hearts) again. The artist who had the biggest hit in the world in 2011 is back at it with the release of her album E•MO•TION last August. The bronze-medalist of Canadian Idol’s 2007 competition and her team of highly talented hit-makers, including producers Max Martin and Scooter Braun, make it clear that E•MO•TION was created with one goal in mind: to make a perfect pop album.

When Spotify’s “New Music Friday” playlist featured two new songs off of E•MO•TION, my hopes for the reinvigoration of my music library were squandered by my cynicism towards Jepsen’s work. I continued my search for fresh tunes, however, hoping that my beloved music provider would bless me with some hidden gems. It wasn’t long before Shuffle snuck some of Carly’s candied vocals into my ear. And then it hit me. “Oh my gosh, I like this song … a lot,” I thought to myself as “Gimmie Love,” the fourth track off of the album, bounced through my head. The wistful vocals, electrosynths, pulsating beat and catchy-as-hell chorus all meshed perfectly and had me already singing along on the first play through.

After a convincing introduction, I decided that a full album listen was well-deserved. It can’t be said that E•MO•TION is a masterpiece of any sort, but each song was clearly thoughtfully crafted with the intention of displaying Carly’s potential for pop princess-ness. Still yet, her lyrics cement her as the flirtatious, boy-crazed brunette that we all grew to love (or hate) with her smash-hit song “Call Me Maybe” back in 2011. “All That” sounds like a tune taken right out of the soundtrack to Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion, with that funky baseline that gets anyone into that “Oooohhhh yeeeaaahhh” mood.

Jepsen makes a strong follow-up with “Boy Problems,” the kind of song you just wish you didn’t like, but you love anyway. Its captivating chorus sings of a friend whose constant “boy problems” have become an annoying buzzing in her ear because, as she so bluntly states to said friend, “I don’t really care, I’ve got worse problems.” Fair enough, Carly. I have to give a nod to her keen ability to pull quotes straight out of my high-school diary. The album winds to an end with the dance-floor banger and Showtek-produced “I Didn’t Just Come Here to Dance,” which seems to follow the exact formula of every other dance track that rules the radio nowadays. And I’m not saying that’s a bad thing. That ’90s-style piano house is pretty damn catchy. Other highlights of the album include “Warm Blood,” “Emotion” and “Let’s Get Lost.”

For all of the Jepsen haters out there, give yourselves a few minutes to reflect upon how “Call Me Maybe” has influenced your lives. Maybe it brings back repressed memories or slight trauma. Regardless, the Canadian pop princess has left her mark on you, and that is the sign of a perfect pop song. So I urge you all to take a quick listen to E•MO•TION and tell me that by the end of the album you don’t have a miniature-sized Carly Rae Jepsen jumping up and down inside your head.

For listeners who like electropop or bubble gum pop, or really anyone who can appreciate some good ol’-fashioned pop music, Carly Rae Jepsen’s new album is a fun listen that you just can’t miss.