Men’s soccer defeats SUNY Oneonta and Trinity

September 16, 2015 by Ben Metrikin, Contributing Writer

Malcolm Moutenot ’17 achieved a beautiful assist in the team’s matchup against SUNY Oneonta last Wednesday.

Men’s soccer (2-0 overall, 1-0 in the NESCAC) rang up its second-straight 2-0 win on the season, downing NESCAC foe Trinity on the road with goals from Mark Sisco-Tolomeo ’18 and Mohammed Rashid ’16 last Saturday.

The Ephs netted one goal in the first half and one goal in the second half. The first Eph goal came off a cross from Gregory Andreou ’19 that was re-directed past Trinity keeper Mateo Zalaba. Sisco-Tolomeo’s goal was tallied midway through the first half at 20:50.

The hard-fought contest in front of a large Trinity crowd was statistically even through both of the halves. The Ephs had one more shot in the first half than did the Bantams (seven shots to their opponent’s six) and both teams fired off eight shots in the second half.

Eph goalie Christian Alcorn ’17 denied eight shots on goal by the Bantams, while his counterpart Zabala stopped 10 of 12 shots by the Ephs. Rashid’s goal came when he received the ball just inside the Ephs’ defensive half and raced forward to the 18-yard box with Bantam defenders trailing behind him. Rashid beat Zabala with a shot that banged in off the post.

With their second goal, the Ephs doubled their advantage at 84:45. The lead powered the men to control the last five minutes of the contest.

Sisco-Tolomeo scored in his second-consecutive game, while Alcorn authored his second-straight clean sheet. Last Wednesday, the men took down nationally ranked SUNY Oneonta in their home opener at Cole Field. The Red Dragons, coming off of a Final Four appearance in 2014, took on a revamped Eph team lead by Erin Sullivan in his first game as Head Coach.

The game opened up immediately, with Williams midfielder Tom Young ’18 getting a shot off by redirecting a cross from Rashid only seconds into the match and forcing a save from the Oneonta goalkeeper. The ensuing corner from Rashid was benign but the early minutes of the game were dominated by an attack-minded Williams team.

Oneonta soon managed to respond by creating chances out of an explosive midfield. An early foul right on the edge of the Williams penalty box put the men in a precarious situation, but Oneonta was unable to convert the cross. The game evened out as the half progressed with neither side able to maintain a significant portion of the possession.

Sisco-Tolomeo ended the early lull in the 36th minute after the pressure of Malcolm Singleton ’18 forced a mistake from the Oneonta back line. Singleton retrieved the ball and tapped it into the path of Sisco-Tolomeo who, after maintaining possession following a defensive tackle at the top of the 18-yard box, shot the ball into the left corner of the net.

The Red Dragons came out in the second half with an attacking mindset and had a slew of early chances. Among others, Jake Sutherland’s shot in the 47th minute was handily blocked by Eph goalkeeper Alcorn, who was key to the Ephs’ success in this match.

The Ephs looked especially dangerous on the counterattack, creating numerous goal-scoring opportunities from dead ball situations in their defensive half. Quick players like Rashid, Young and Singleton allowed the Ephs to expose the Red Dragons’ back line multiple times. Meanwhile, the Ephs’ defensive line was well-organized and rarely allowed the Red Dragons’ offense any space on the pitch.

Towards the end of a largely uneventful second half, an impressive Sisco-Tolomeo broke the defensive deadlock between the two teams for a second time in the 88th minute. Malcolm Moutenot ’17 received the ball on the right wing and knocked it in to the top of the six-yard box. Sisco-Tolomeo used the goalie’s momentum against him with a deft tap to the far side of the goal.

“It’s been a solid start to the 2015 sason,” Sullivan said. “Our returning players have set the tone for a cohesive, hard-working and positive team mentality. Certainly, it helps to come away with results early in the season but this is a very hungry team with lofty goals. Our focus right now is on the day and play in front of us.”

Scores from yesterday’s game came in too late to report. The men look poised to take on Colby in an away game this Saturday, followed by another away game at Bowdoin on Sunday.