Men’s golf takes second at home invite

September 16, 2015 by Eva Fourakis, Sports Editor and Jake Foehl

Andrew Leary '16 takes a putt at a home invite last weekend.

Andrew Leary ’16 takes a putt at a home invite last weekend.

The Williams Fall Invitational concluded on Sunday, unscathed by ominous weather forecasts. Men’s golf hosted the annual fall invite at the beautiful par-71 Taconic Golf Course. Despite avoiding thunderstorms, players were forced to contend with daunting winds all weekend.

The success of the men on Sunday compensated for a comparatively tough set of rounds on Saturday. Rhode Island College held the overnight lead and the distinction of being the only team to shoot below 300, posting an impressive score of 298. Salem State (300) and Trinity College (301) were not far behind and found themselves in strong positions after the first round. By contrast, the Ephs totaled an otherwise respectable 309 shots for the day.

On Sunday, Trinity (301-300=601) began the day three shots back but ended victorious after an impressive display of skill and consistency. Not to be outdone, Williams (309-296=605) mounted an impressive comeback, firing a tournament-low team score of 296 in Sunday’s final round. The two teams created considerable separation from the rest of the field, as indicated by the third and fourth place finishers, Western New England (307-305=612) and Skidmore (307-306=613), finishing 11 and 12 shots back despite great two-day totals.

Jack Coyne ’18 (75-69=144), who competed on the Williams ‘B’ team, carded the low round of the tournament with a spectacular two-under-par final round. He and New YU’s Paul Park (73-71=144) finished in a tie for second.

Michael Stone ’16 (75-73=148) spearheaded the ‘A’ team’s second day charge. With only a few blemishes on the scorecard, Stone struck the ball solidly all weekend, hitting 13 greens and carding 14 pars in Sunday’s round. Ross Hoffman ’17 (72-74=146) and Tong Liu ’16 (76-74=150) posted twin 74’s. Hoffman and Liu kicked off the season in promising fashion this weekend by continuing their strong and consistent tournament golf. Jacob Watt-Morse ’17 (87-75=162) rounded out Williams’ final round score with a commendable individual turnaround from Day 1.

The Williams ‘B’ team (305-309=614) saw impressive play not only from Coyne but also from Greg Stone ’16 (79-78=157). Their consistency helped them card rounds under 80 each day. Jackson Moss ’18 (80-80=160) and co-captain Frank Worthington ’16 (76-82=158) rounded out the ‘B’ team’s second round effort. The team’s cumulative play earned them a fifth place finish, once again demonstrating the depth of the Ephs’ talented roster. Even Williams’ ‘C’ team saw strong outings, particularly from Tyler Tsay ’19, Jake Foehl ’19 and Andrew Leary ’16.

Overall, the tournament rounded out a strong start to the men’s season. “While it was dissapointing to finish in second to Trinity, we saw a lot of really good golf, especially from the younger guys on the team,” Worthington said. “We’re definitely heading in the right direction as we prepare for the fall NESCACs in a few weeks, and we hope to get our first tournament title of the year this weekend up at Middlebury.”

Next weekend, the men will head to Middlebury to compete in their NESCAC rival’s annual fall event, the Duke Nelson Invitational. Williams will host one more tournament this fall: the NESCAC Championships.