Captain’s Corner: Frank Worthington ’16

September 16, 2015 by Jack Greenberg, Sports Editor and Evan Wahl, Executive Editor

Frank Worthington ’16 

Men’s golf

frankLower Gwyned, Penn.

Residence: Meadow St.

In my research prior to conducting this interview I found that you once described yourself as a “learner, golfer and debater” who is “passionate, funny [and] driven.” How do you feel about these claims now? 

Well [one of my freshmen last year] discovered a video from high school where a bunch of us from the local high schools had to go be interviewed by ABC News. It’s somewhat accurate but seems kind of stiff. It’s [that freshman’s] favorite catchphrase. Whenever I entered a room last year he would say “learner, golfer, debater, passionate, funny and driven.” I laughed the first few times and eventually told him to simmer down and talk about something else.

So were you stiff throughout high school? 

I mean it was a lousy question. You can’t describe yourself in six words.

What would you say now?

I’d probably drop debater now. I don’t really do that anymore. Passionate, funny and driven … yeah, I would keep those three. I’m definitely still a learner and a golfer. Huh, I don’t know what that sixth word would be. I guess we’ll see.

So just to take this back for a bit, I was wondering if there were ever any other sports for you or if you were always singularly focused on golf? 

In middle school I played tennis and football besides golf. I was actually a great left tackle but I just didn’t have the frame for it. I somehow did have the natural talent for the position though. I also played a lot of basketball. They were all fun sports but I wasn’t really good enough playing the rest of them, save for maybe tennis, to do them in high school. So I focused a lot on golf and improved in the game a lot. That was definitely my main athletic focus in high school. I still did some [Catholic Youth Organization] basketball, which was fun, but I was not exactly Lebron James out there, as [Evan] Wahl [’17] can attest to.

I’ve heard you talk before about how your father has had a profound influence on your love of the game. How did that formulate?  

When I was three one of my younger sisters was born and the only way my dad could get out of the house to go play golf was if he took me with him. I was out there and my dad’s 4-iron was about as tall as I was. [Laughs.] I was just hacking around but I really started playing from a young age, and we would always play together. As I started playing with other kids, around the time that I was maybe 10 or 11, I began to realize this was actually a sport I might be better at than most people, as opposed to the other sports I was playing where that really was not always the case. [Laughs.] I guess starting at the age of three really helped. I still play a lot with my dad to this day. It’s a really fun thing.

So when you were deciding where to go to college you were specifically oscillating between a Div. I and Div. III school. How big a factor was golf for you in ultimately deciding to attend the College?  

Well I was deciding between Duke and Williams, and I certainly could not have played varsity golf at Duke. I guess I could have done a club team or whatever but I really wanted to continue to play golf at a competitive level. Being at a Div. III school is great. Obviously we are focused on the golf but there is the huge focus on academics here as well. This really was the option that gave me the most balance.

Now with four years on the team under your belt, what is the camaraderie like amongst you and your fellow golfers?  

It’s really strong. On the course, we are videotaping each other at the range, offering tips on what clubs or what techniques to use on the interesting holes over at Taconic [Golf Club.] We really help each other out there. Off the course, we hang out a lot. We will do problem sets together and a lot of us have the same group of friends. It’s a really tight-knit group of guys. It’s one of my favorite parts about golf here.

Is there a particular restaurant in Lanesborough at which the team really appreciates dining?  

Well if we were to head down that way, if we just happened to be heading down Route 7 [Laughs], we would go to the [Old] Forge [Restaurant]. It’s a really great team getaway. There are good wings and good beer for those over 21. It’s a lot of fun. When you get the whole team together, you get some really good banter.

Do you know how that tradition evolved?  

I don’t know exactly but when I got here it was already a pretty heavy tradition. I think some of the golf guys started going and it became a team thing from there. When I arrived here it was already pretty entrenched.

Speaking of tradition, what was it like getting the call to go to Little Threes and play with the team in such an important meet? 

Well I didn’t travel a ton. I usually was not in the top five of the team who go to tournaments. One of our guys had two exams the next day and could not go to Little Threes so I was just out playing on Taconic with some of the guys and Coach [Josh Hillman] called me and said to head back to my dorm and pack up my things because I was going to Little Threes the next day. It was a great experience down at Wesleyan; we played 36 holes all day and it was just a ton of fun.