Women’s track picks up Div. III qualifying times

May 13, 2015 by Kathryn Kennedy, Sports Writer

A small subsection of women’s track and field packed up this weekend and headed east to Cambridge, Mass. to compete yet again at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. These women are continuing their journey to the All New England Championship Meet. The Ephs were running not only against their competitors, but also against the clock as they chased NCAA Div. III qualification standards. In this regard, it was an exciting and productive weekend for the Ephs. Hannah Cole ’17 had a standout performance, finishing first in the steeplechase with her time of 10:30.97, the second-fastest time in all of Div. III this year and second-fastest time ever by an Eph. She was closesly followed by Lacey Serletti ’16, who also stood out in the steeplechase race, finishing third with a personal record of 10:43.58, which ranked her sixth in Div. III.

Williams had three impressive performances in the 800-meter race. Laney Teaford ’17 earned a personal record of 2:12.71 for an eighth-place finish. She was followed closely by Yvonne Bungei ’17 in ninth with a time of 2:13.07 and Victoria Kingham ’18, who finished in 2:13.07 and earned 11th place. Candice Dyce ’17 also finished 11th in a different event. Dyce jumped 11.21 meters in the triple jump, earning 11th amongst a deep field of competitors. Emily Shea ’16 represented the Ephs in the 10k, finishing in 10th with a time of 38:09.09. Alyza Ngbokoli ’17 also posted a 10th-place finish, but in the 400-meter hurdles, running the lap around the track in 64.03. After an exciting day, some athletes will rest up and look forward to the upcoming NCAA Div. III Outdoor Championship meet while others will set their sights a little closer at an upcoming meet next weekend to improve their chances of qualifying for the Div. III Championships to be held at St. Lawrence University, May 21-23, in Canton, N.Y.

“With two seasons of work fulfilling Coach Hoey’s process-oriented goals, an astounding number of girls have had season bests or lifetime PRs in the post-season meets recently. We have six national qualifiers already and still have another weekend to see if we can qualify any more,” said co-captain Anna Spiers ’15. After the women’s season ends, the Ephs will say goodbye to six seniors as they graduate, including Spiers, Ashley Graves ’15, Amelia Ortiz ’15, Haley Stewart ’15, co-captain Dianna Mejia ’15 and co-captain Alison Smith ’15.