Spring Street Blues 5-4-15 to 5-10-15

May 13, 2015 by Matthew Borin, News Editor

Monday 5-4-15

4:36 p.m. Jesup Hall: There was a heat issue in the Office for Information Technology (OIT) computer room. Heat was rising to crisis levels. The mechanical tradesman was contacted to respond.   

6:37 p.m. Jesup Hall: Several OIT senior staff reported the temperature was still rising and was still a serious concern. High temperature alarms were received at Campus Safety and Security (Security) dispatch. The on-call mechanical tradesman was asked to return. OIT staff also responded. 

7:10 p.m. Bernhard Music Center: Facilities staff member contacted Security concerning the decorated cows outside the Bernhard Music Center regarding the electric supply and the electronics connected with the cow. An iPod and a set of small household speakers were plugged into a faulty extension cord. The Safety and Environmental Health Office was notified and asked to provide guidance in properly setting up this display.   

Tuesday 5-5-15

11:00 p.m. Greylock Quad: Security received a noise complaint. Officers found several students standing together in the quad. They were quiet at the time but did have a music player with them and said that they were singing and being loud before. They were advised of the complaint. 

Wednesday 5-6-15

5:39 a.m. Fayerweather: Security received a noise complaint. Officers arrived and found techno music being played at a very high volume. Students were advised of the complaint and they turned it off.     

11:09 a.m. Garfield House: A custodian requested to speak with an officer at Garfield. On site, he had found a spent small caliber shell casing in the basement laundry room.   

Thursday 5-7-14

12:27 a.m. Hubbell House: Officers responded to Hubbell on a tip line submission that said, “People who sound drunk are on Hubbell roof again!!!! Can’t sleep!” 

6:59 a.m. East College: Officers responded to East on a report that there was a smell of pot in the building. 

12:15 p.m. Jesup Hall: An OIT administrator reported he found writing on the wall in Jesup. The writing was on the wall outside office 311.   

4:23 p.m. Campus Safety Office: A student reported that his hybrid bike was taken from outside of Thompson Hall sometime around April 21. A stolen article report was faxed to WPD. The bike was later found in the Campus Safety storage. Student and WPD were notified.

11:35 p.m. Agard House: A noise complaint was called in by a resident on South St. who thought the music was coming from Agard House. Officers found no loud music at Agard. The music seemed to be coming from the area of Hoxsey St. WPD officers advised Security officers that there was a live band playing outside at the Red Herring on Spring St. They advised them of the noise complaint. 

Friday 5-8-15

12:23 a.m. Fitch: Security received a noise complaint. The caller stated there was loud music coming from the third floor middle part of the building. A small group of students were found with evidence of Beruit activity. The group was advised of the complaint and cleaned up the area.   

12:55 p.m. Bascom: Custodian reported a raccoon on the roof of Bascom. An officer found a raccoon that looked to be in good health lying underneath the fire escape stairs in the middle of the flat section of the roof. 

5:45 p.m. Poker Flats: There were multiple door alarms from the Poker Flats B and C entries. Officers checked the area and found a large number of students behind Poker.  There were several grills going and lawn games being played. The cause of the alarms was several students going in and out using the bathrooms.   

6:14 p.m. Cole Field: Officers responded to Cole Field on a report that an infant was struck in the head with a foul softball and an ambulance was needed. The mother had in fact fallen with the baby. The baby hit its head on the ground causing an injury to the right side of her forehead. The baby was conscious and crying. The mother had an ankle injury. Both mother and baby were transported to BMC North. 

7:20 p.m. ’62 Center for Theater and Dance: Security received a report of a person having a seizure. A student was transported to BMC South via Village Ambulance.

10:15 p.m. Fitch: Security received a complaint of noise coming from Fitch. Officers found two gatherings with loud music. Both groups were advised of the complaint, were cooperative and apologized for the complaint. 

Saturday 5-9-15

12:28 a.m. Perry: Security received a noise complaint and a complaint of marijuana smoking in the house. Upon arrival there were several students leaving the building and area. There were five to eight students and alumni in the Goat Room/pool room talking. 

1:46 a.m. Sage Hall: Security received a report of a male passed out on the first floor in the common area. 911 was activated. Officers found the student was not at Sage but was being taken to his room at Mills. An officer brought the Village Ambulance to Mills. The student was evaluated and able to answer all of their questions. He was not transported. 

2:00 p.m. Hockey Rink: Officers responded with the Associate Director for Operations/Athletics for graffiti on a pillar. The large area of the concrete wall to the left of the pool ramp/North end of the rink was spray painted with graffiti. WPD was notified. The event was documented and an investigation is in progress. 

8:30 p.m. Old Sawyer Library: An officer observed new graffiti on the south side of the Old Sawyer Library. WPD was informed to have an officer respond to take a report of the new graffiti.   

10:43 p.m. Frosh Quad: Students were seen leaving Frosh Quad with a college table heading toward Park Street.    

Sunday 5-10-15

1:45 a.m. ’62 Center: Officers dispatched to the north side of the 62 Center for a complaint of an unwanted guest that appeared drunk and lost. A visiting alum had been separated from his group. He was picked up by friends and they were heading to their hotel.

2:02 a.m. Hopkins Hall: A student had an asthma/allergic reaction. Dispatch activated 911 for Village Ambulance. Village Ambulance transported the student to BMC North. 

2:31 a.m. Prospect: Security received a tip line submission of loud music/noise coming from the third or fourth floor. Prior to the officer’s arrival, two more tip line submissions were made about the noise in Prospect. Students in a common room were found talking loud and the television volume excessive. The officer advised the group of the complaint.   

1:26 p.m. Garfield: Security received a report of a medical emergency. A student reported a possible neck injury. 911 was activated. The student was transported to BMC North.