Men’s track takes seventh at Div. III New Englands, earns personal bests at Twilight

May 6, 2015 by Jahangir Habib, Sports Writer

Moving further into championship season, men’s track and field took the weekend to travel to Cambridge, Mass. to compete at the Div. III New Englands Championship. While the Ephs took the opportunity to rest some of their top scorers, they still walked away with a seventh-place overall finish, scoring 44 points. 

Laye Samoura ’15 and Alex Deaderick ’15 made the trip on Friday afternoon in order to run in the prelims for the 110-meter hurdles and 100-meter dash, respectively. Samoura won his preliminary heat in 15.27 seconds and advanced to the final the next day. Deaderick finished the 100 meter in 11.44 seconds and did not advance to the final.

Starting off Saturday morning were the hammer throwers and the high jumpers. Olivier Joseph ’17 represented the Ephs in the hammer throw and finished with a 40.86-meter throw. Ian Outhwaite ’17 competed in the high jump and finished in eighth place with a 1.93-meter jump.

The next events the Ephs contested were the 110-meter hurdles final and the 400 meter final. Samoura got out fast and overcame tripping to finish third overall in 15.26 seconds. In the 400 meter, Tobias Mueller ’18 posted his second-fastest time of the season and scored a point with a 49.69 second, eighth-place finish. Co-captain Eric Schneider ’15 toughed out a 52.59 second performance for the Ephs. Pierceson Brown ’18 smoothly cleared 4.35 meters in the pole vault to finish seventh overall. Meanwhile, the shot put duo of Lloyd Campbell ’18 and Liam Pembroke ’18  competed against the deepest field they’ve seen this season. Campbell finished eighth overall with a personal best 14.13-meter throw and Pembroke finished 11th with a 13.43-meter throw.

Co-captain Andrew Beaudoin ’15 led the way for the Ephs in the 800 meter, hanging on in a crazy finish for fourth overall in an outdoor track personal best 1:53.9. Luke Hinz ’17  also performed exceptionally well, setting a new personal best in 1:56.39. Kyle Kistinger ’16 rounded out the 800-meter squad with a 1:56.73 performance.

The 400-meter hurdles was an absolute treat to watch. Conor Dunham ’18 and Nolan Raimo ’16  again showcased their ability to work together as they pulled away to take first and second, respectively, in huge personal bests of 53.30 and 53.76 seconds.

Williams closed out its performance with a win in the 4×800 relay. Led off by Kistinger and followed by Justin Leandre ’18, Hinz and Beaudoin,  the team won in 7:47.05.

While most of the Ephs traveled to MIT to compete at Div. III New Englands, a few made the trip to Poughkeepsie, N.Y. to compete at the Matthew Vassar Twilight Invitational. Griffin Colaizzi ’18 started well in the 5k, taking the lead after coming through the mile in about 4:58. He battled for the lead and made his move with 300 meters to go, but was just edged out into second place. He still ran a personal best of 15:16.74. Zachary Dulabon ’18 also competed in the 5K and finished 10th in a season best of 15:51.64. Nigel Bates ’17 competed in the 1500 meter and finished seventh in 4:14.68.

“We had a lot of guys resting this weekend after NESCACs last weekend, but those who competed continued to reap the benefits of a long season of hard work,” co-cpatain Aldis Inde ’15 said. “Particularly exciting were the great races in the 400m hurdles, where we now have two of the fastest 20 times in the nation. They will hopefully join the solid contingent of athletes we have qualifying for nationals, which is our next main focus.”

With the weekend all wrapped up, the Ephs turn their attention to competing at All New Englands next week.