Men’s golf captures third-straight Little 3

May 6, 2015 by Michael Stone, Team Correspondent

Men’s golf ended its spring season last Wednesday with a victory against Amherst and Wesleyan at the Little Three Championship, hosted by Wesleyan at the Lyman Orchards’ Robert Trent Jones Golf Course.

Williams captured its third-straight Little Three title and 17th in the last 18 years with a balanced team effort.

The teams played four alternate shot matches in the morning and eight singles matches in the afternoon. The Ephs once again won in convincing fashion, beating the Jeffs by a score of 8.5-3.5 and sweeping the Cardinals in all 12 events.

In the morning matches, Williams got its only point against Amherst from co-captain Jake Goldenring ’15 and Tong Liu ’16. The pair cruised to a 5&4 victory. Co-captain Nate McCue ’15 and Jacob Watt-Morse ’17 tied their match and earned half of a point after an Amherst competitor missed a short putt on the 18th hole. Max Elgart ’16 and Frank Worthington ’16 fell to Amherst 2&1, as well as Michael Stone ’16 and Ross Hoffman ’17, who lost their match to Amherst 4&3.

But after a short rest, Williams came out with an outstanding performance in the afternoon singles play. Most notably, in the final match to tee off, Goldenring defeated Amherst senior Jarvis Sill 8&6 by playing 12 holes in three-under par, officially capping off what is undoubtedly a remarkable college career. Likewise, McCue made a beautiful par save from the greenside bunker on 17 to win his match against Amherst 2&1 and wrap up a good senior season. Five other Eph players gained points from their matches, which safely secured the title for the men.

The Little Three victory concludes a strong season for the Ephs, despite not achieving their ultimate goal of winning the NESCAC NCAA Qualifier and earning a bid to compete in the NCAA Championship. Equally as important, though, their season ended on a positive note.

“Coming off our shaky fall season, we worked very hard this offseason to improve and come out firing this spring, and we did exactly that,” said McCue. “After a successful spring break, we won our first two events and came in second in our third and final event before NESCACs. While our ultimate goal was to win the NESCAC spring qualifier and head to NCAAs for the second time in three seasons, Middlebury simply played better than us that weekend and came away with the victory. Nevertheless, I’m proud of the way our guys battled this spring through the poor weather and with Taconic not being open, and we leave this season with no regrets. We closed our season with Little Threes, always one of the most enjoyable events of the year due to the match play format and bigger lineup with eight guys get ting to play instead of five. While we got off to a rough morning start in our match versus Amherst, we battled back winning seven of our eight matches against them in the afternoon and came away with the Little Three title. It was a fitting end to a very successful season and a perfect way for Jake and me to close out our Williams’ careers.”

The team will regroup in the coming weeks and determine what its next steps should be. The program’s priority will be determining the outlook for the Fall 2015 season.

The team says goodbye to Goldenring and McCue who will both be graduating from the College in June.