Baseball ends season with victory over Springfield

May 6, 2015 by John Bihn, Staff Writer

Co-captain Luke Pierce '15 is one of seven members of the team graduating from the College in June.

Co-captain Luke Pierce ’15 is one of seven members of the team graduating from the College in June.

Men’s baseball (14-19, 4-8 in the NESCAC) closed it’s season with a 9-1 victory over Springfield last Sunday after dropping the first game of the doubleheader 7-6. Williams traded 1-0 victories with Suffolk last Saturday after winning it’s home finale 4-3 last Thursday against MCLA. Williams began the week with a 9-6 win against Union (NY) one day after falling 13-4 to RPI on April 28. “We played good baseball down the stretch losing some close games and also winning some tight games,” Head Coach Bill Barrale said. In the first game of Sunday’s doubleheader at Springfield, Williams opened the game with four runs in the second inning, sparked by a double by Lev Schechter ’18. Co-captain Tom Murphy ’15 controlled the game early for the Ephs, but struggled on the mound in the fifth inning as the Pride rallied to tie the game. Williams failed to get a hit in the final two innings, while Springfield earned the game-winning run in the bottom of the seventh to win 7-6. In the second game on Sunday, the Ephs again dominated in the second inning.

After Kirby Neuner ’15 and Jackson Parese ’17 brought in runs, Luke Pierce ’15 hit a three-run homer to give the Ephs a 6-0 lead. Two innings later, Pierce hit another home run, his fifth of the season, and Nathan Michalski ’17 added an RBI single to add to the Ephs’ lead. Tyler Duff ’17 produced an excellent game on the mound, earning his first collegiate win as the Ephs prevailed 9-1 to close the season on a high note. “Tyler Duff was a reliever for us and ended up giving us a complete game, while Pierce hit two home runs in his last game for us,” Barrale said. Luke Rodino ’17 led the Ephs in the first of two games against Suffolk on Saturday, pitching a shutout with five strikeouts and only allowing four hits. Williams loaded the bases in the first inning, but after failing to capitalize the Ephs struggled to earn hits. In extra innings Roberts hit a single allowing Schechter to reach home, and Williams closed the bottom of the inning to earn a 1-0 victory in eight innings. “Suffolk is going to the NCAA Tournament and they threw their best pitchers at us,” Barrale said. “It was exciting to get the extra inning win.”

In the second game, Suffolk scored the deciding run in the second inning with the bases loaded and no outs. Pitcher Daniel Smith ’16 limited the Rams to one run, but the Ephs struggled at the plate for much of the game. Williams had a chance in the seventh inning with Rodino pinch running, but interference with the third base coach ended the game in a 1-0 loss for the Ephs. The men played their final home game of the season on Thursday against MCLA. The Trailblazers got off to a 3-0 lead in the first inning, but the Ephs responded with three runs in the second inning. Michalski launched the game-winning RBI in the fifth inning, allowing Adam Dulsky ’18 to score. “We used all of our seniors pitchers for our last home game and they all did a great job,” Barrale commented on his graduating class at the end of their careers. Facing Union last Wednesday, Roberts crushed a three-run homer in the first inning, and Williams maintained it’s lead. Roberts added a double in the fourth inning, and Dulsky went 4-5 at the plate, including two doubles and a triple, in the Ephs’ 9-6 win. On April 28, Williams fell 13-4 in a matchup against RPI, only managing two hits in the final six innings. The Ephs will lose seven seniors to graduation this offseason, including Neuner, Pierce, and co-captain Phil McGovern ’15, the latter of whom led the team in hits this season. Next year’s bullpen will be missing Murphy, Dylan Griswold ’15, Eddie Kelly ’15 and Jacob Slater ’15.