Men’s tennis slams Bates 7-2 at home

Men’s tennis (10-9, 4-4 in the NESCAC) recorded a 7-2 win over visiting Bates on Sunday, coming back from a 6-3 defeat by Bowdoin on Saturday. Bates won at No. 1 doubles convincingly, downing Jordan Sadowsky ’18 and co-captain Alex Schidlovsky ’16 8-1. Williams, however, won at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to take a 2-1 lead into singles play. The No. 2 Eph tandem of co-captain Jose Raventos ’16 and Rohan Shastri ’17 defeated the Bobcats’, 8-4. No. 3 doubles Sachin Raghavan ’18 and Brian Grodecki ’18 topped Bates 8-6. Bates’ lone singles win came at No. 6. Raventos downed his opponent in straight sets 6-0, 6-0 at No. 1 singles.Shastri won at No. 2 6-3, 7-6 (1). No. 3 went to Williams as Schidlovsky won 6-0, 6-3. Grodecki claimed No. 4 6-3, 6-0. Raghavan at No. 5 went to a tiebreaker to gain his victory, taking the first set 6-2, losing the second 6-7 (4)and then winning (10-5). On Saturday, the Ephs took the court against the Polar Bears, who handed them a tough 6-3 loss.

The Ephs dominated at No. 1 doubles, as Sadowsky and Schidlovsky overpowered their opponents, 8-3. The remaining two doubles matches were both ended in one-break margins of victory. At No. 2, Raventos and Shastri won 8-5. Raghavan and Grodecki at No. 3 dropped their tilt 8-5. The Ephs took their 2-1 lead into singles, hoping to capitalize early and create some space, but it took very little time for Bowdoin to make up ground, winning five out of six first sets. At No. 3, Schidlovsky dropped his first set 6-1 and fell behind early in the second set. At No. 1 and No. 2, Raventos and Shastri lost 3-6, 3-6 and 4-6, 3-6, respectively. With Bowdoin only requiring a win on one of the three remaining courts, the men once again found themselves with their backs against the wall. Raghavan and Grodecki fought well against their opponents, but unfortunately Conrad Harron ’17 fell 6-3 and 6-1. In lieu of the final sets, each of the courts played out super tiebreakers. Both matches went to 10-8, with the Ephs taking Grodecki’s match at No. 4 and the Polar Bears taking No. 5 against Raghavan. The men broke a two-match losing streak on Wednesday, defeating Trinity 5-1 at home. The Ephs had a 2-1 lead after doubles and easily maintained this through singles. “I thought our performance on Saturday was really sloppy, which made Sunday’s win even better. Our guys really bounced back and tightened up some loose screws and may have saved our season,” Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 said. Williams will now await the announcement of the NESCAC Tournament seeds, which will be hosted by Middlebury this weekend.