Men’s lacrosse falls to Midd. to end season

Co- captain Dan Whittam ’15 had 14 saves in the men’s loss to Midd.

Last week, men’s lacrosse (9-6, 5-5 in the NESCAC) played Middlebury twice in four days: first to finish out the regular season and then in the first round of NESCAC playoffs. The Ephs split these games, winning the first contest but losing the second to end their season. Last Saturday, the Ephs and Panthers faced off for the second time in a week. This time, the 14-13 victory went to Middlebury. It was another close match, with both teams going on runs and Williams trailing by one at the end of each quarter. Co-captain Steven Kiesel ’15 had an incredible game to end his lacrosse career, scoring seven of the Ephs’ 14 goals. Two of these goals were in the first quarter, combining with a goal from Tanner MacIvor ’17 to make the score 4-3 in favor of Middlebury. Scoring was low for both teams in the second quarter, with the Ephs’ goals coming from Kiesel and Riley Hoffman ’17.

At halftime, Middlebury held a 6-5 advantage. Jack Lauroesch ’16 scored the first goal of the second half for Williams before Middlebury went on a three-goal run. A goal by Kiesel stopped the Panther’s run and started one for the Ephs with Hoffman and Kiesel both scoring unanswered goals by the end of the third quarter to make the score 10-9 in favor of the Panthers. Middlebury scored to open up the final quarter, but co-captain Eric Kelley ’15 quickly responded with a goal of his own. Again, Middlebury went on a three-goal run before Williams went on one of its own, with goals from Kiesel and Andy Grabowski ’15. Unfortunately, there was not enough time left in the game for Williams to keep this run going and come back. The Ephs ended their season with a very close 14-13 loss. The first game, played last Wednesday, was another close contest. Williams fought hard in the final quarter and pulled away to win by three goals, 14-11. MacIvor started off the scoring, finding the back of the net just over a minute into the game. Middlebury answered this goal less than a minute later before Khary Dennis ’16 notched another one for the Ephs. The Panthers then went on a four-goal run before Kiesel scored the final goal of the quarter, reducing the Ephs’ deficit to two goals and making the score 5-3. The Ephs once again started off the scoring in the second quarter with an unassisted goal by Michael Fahey ’17. Fahey scored again, combining with goals from Hoffman and Bryson Gilbert-Bono ’16 to even the score at 7-7 by the half. Hoffman scored again to open the third quarter, but Middlebury quickly responded with a goal of its own.

MacIvor scored another goal and Grabowski scored his first in response to two Middlebury goals to bring the score to 10-10. The Ephs outplayed their opponents in the final quarter, with the offense scoring four goals and the defense keeping the Panthers to just one. Grabowski and Fahey each scored again and Kiesel notched two more goals for a final score of 14-11. Goalkeeper and co-captain Dan Whittam ’15 had 14 saves in the game, twice as many as his Middlebury counterpart. The Williams defense, led by co-captain John Maimone-Medwick ’15, played a large role in the team’s success, making sure only 25 of the Panthers’ 48 shots were on net. “It’s always tough losing a one goal game, especially in the playoffs, but we feel like we really played hard and had a good game,” Maimone-Medwick said. “It was a tough end to the season but it was an awesome year.” At the conclusion of the men’s season, the Ephs say goodbye to Whittam, Grabowski, Kelly, Kiesel, Maimone-Medwick and Joe Kinney ’15, all of whom will graduate this spring.