Baseball downs Skidmore, drops two against Hamilton

Baseball (10-16, 4-8 in the NESCAC) finished conference play last weekend by splitting a series against Hamilton. The Ephs lost 3-2 on Saturday and fell 3-1 in the first game of Sunday’s doubleheader but rallied to earn a 10-9 victory to avoid the sweep. In the first game of Sunday’s doubleheader, the Continentals quickly attacked with their first runner getting on base, then stealing second and third. After getting on the board with an RBI base hit, Hamilton added a solo home run to move ahead 2-0. Williams struggled offensively until Nathan Michalski ’17 crushed a home run for the Ephs, bringing the Ephs within one run. The next few innings were a pitchers’ duel, with the two pitchers only allowing eight hits over the next four innings. Hamilton capitalized on its few hits with six stolen bases, including a key stolen base in the bottom of the sixth.

The Continentals took advantage with a RBI base hit to right field, bringing them to a 3-1 victory. “I really thought we were going to put up some more runs. It was a combination of hard luck and some poor run production,” Head Coach Bill Barrale said. The tone changed in the closing game of the series, as both teams caught fire at the plate. After Hamilton scored in the opening frame, Williams tied the game with a run by co-captain Phil McGovern ’15. In the top of the third, Jack Roberts ’17 crushed a solo homer deep behind right field, and McGovern singled to bring Luke Pierce ’15 home to put the Ephs ahead 3-1. In the very next inning, the Ephs loaded the bases with Roberts up to bat. Roberts knocked the ball out of the park for his second home run of the season, this time a grand slam.

Three batters later, McGovern brought another run home to bring the score to 8-2. The Continentals responded with three runs in the bottom of the inning to close the gap. Although Williams added another run in the top of the fifth, Hamilton scored four runs in the sixth to tie the game at 9-9. The Ephs got out of trouble twice in the seventh and eighth innings, leaving three Continentals runners stranded in scoring position. In the ninth inning, Adam Regensburg ’18 brought in the winning run with a double to left field. Jacob Slater ’15 finished the game for the Ephs by striking out the last two Continental batters, securing a 10-9 win for the Ephs. In Saturday’s matchup, Williams got on the board first in the top of the third inning. After the Ephs loaded the bases, the Continentals walked Regensburg, bringing in the first run. In the next at-bat, Adam Dulsky ’18 crushed a RBI single to left field to give the Ephs a 2-0 lead. On the mound, starting pitcher and co-captain Tom Murphy ’15 tallied three strikeouts in the first four innings. Murphy’s pitching, coupled with the Ephs’ reliable fielding, helped keep the Continentals off the board through this stretch. Hamilton rallied in the fifth inning with two long hits, tying up the game at 2-2. Williams shortstop Roberts snagged a ground out to keep the game tied. The Ephs could not get any momentum at the plate, leaving three runners in scoring position over the remaining innings. In the bottom of the eighth, a Hamilton runner hit a single and then stole second base, reaching third after an errant throw by the Ephs. The Continentals drove in the winning run with a ground out, taking the first game of the series 3-2. “I thought Murphy put up a great game, but we just weren’t swinging the bats well,” Barrale commented on the game.

On April 21, the men beat Skidmore 10-2. Skidmore struck quickly during their first at-bat, scoring two runs. However, the Ephs responded in the bottom half of the inning, taking three runs off their opponents. Dulsky drove in McGovern while Roberts was able to make it home after an errant pitch. Dulsky then stole home to take the lead. The Ephs held a 3-2 advantage at the end of the first inning, but the next two innings proved uneventful offensively. Pitcher Connor Dunn ’18 shut down the Thoroughbred’s offense, keeping them without a run for the next consecutive four innings. In the bottom of the fourth, Michalski and Jackson Parese ’17 both scored before Pierce hit a three-run homer to put the score at 7-2. This hit was Pierce’s team-leading third home run of the season. In the bottom of the eighth inning, the Ephs tacked on three more runs to make the final score 10-2, in Williams’ favor. Results from the men’s game on Tuesday against RPI came in too late to report. Williams will host its last games today at 4 p.m. against Union and on Thursday at 4 p.m. against MCLA. The Ephs close the season with two weekend doubleheaders on the road. After traveling to Suffolk on Saturday with games at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m., Williams will face off against Springfield at 12 p.m and 3 p.m. on Sunday. “We just have to focus on the little things and finish the season on a high note,” Barrale said.