Women’s track gears up to host NESCACs

Last weekend, a portion of women’s track and field headed to Springfield, Mass. to compete in order to prepare for the upcoming NESCAC meet. The team was primed with perfect running conditions, with temperatures around 65 degrees and the skies clear for the whole day, to fine tune their performances before the big NESCAC meet next weekend.

The Springfield College Invitational is nestled between the two home meets that Williams is hosting this year: The Dick Farley Invitational on April 11 and the NESCAC championship meet this Saturday. The team  is eagerly anticipating this meet as the climax to the regular season, and they used last weekend to prepare in the way best for each individual.

In the steeplechase, Elowyn Pfeiffer ’18 was among the winners, conquering her first-ever steeplechase in a time of 11.38.40. Although many distance runners stayed on campus and rested up on Saturday, Williams nonetheless had a strong showing in many other distance events, such as the 1500 meter. In this race, Maggie Peard ’17, Alison Smith ’15 and Anna Ryba ’16 earned third, fourth and sixth place finishes with times of 4:49.68, 4:50.82 and 4:58.29, respectively.

Nina Pande ’17 also represented Williams in the 5000 meter, posting a time of 20:18.70 for a sixth-place finish.

The team also witnessed some progress in the 800 meter, where Katie Spence ’18 ran a season best of 2:20.51 for a third-place finish, followed by Eliza Matt ’18, who ran the race in 2:25.38 for a seventh-place finish. Kelsey Adamson ’16 also scored for the team, placing fifth in the 200-meter race with a time of 26.61.

Williams had another first-place finisher in the 400 meter. Jessica O’Brien ’16 ran a time of 58.50 in the 400 meter for the victory. Evan Gancedo ’18, competing in her first open 400 meter race of the season, also had a strong performance, finishing in sixth place with her time of 60.71.

The team continued to score in this distance when hurdles were added onto the track later in the day for the 400-meter hurdles race. Kathryn Kennedy ’18 finished in first with a time of 62.63, followed by Kayley McGonagle ’18, who earned second place with her time of 66.82. Kennedy also won the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 15.00.

In addition to the track events, many jumpers competed in this invitational. Helene Hall ’18 finished in second in the high jump with a jump of 1.57 meters and Candice Dyce ’17 posted a third-place finish in the triple jump with an impressive 11.16-meter jump. Dyce also achieved a sizable personal record in the shot put, throwing 10.83 meters to earn sixth place.

In the pole vault, Stephanie Boulger ’18 had a season best of 3.05 meters for a fourth place finish and Emma Robinson ’15 also made the scoreboard with her long jump of 4.98 meters, earning her a fifth-place finish.

“We had some outstanding efforts and performances on Saturday,” Head Coach Nate Hoey commented on the meet.  “We are excited heading into next week.”

It was an exciting day for the team as they were able to execute the lessons they have learned from both the indoor and outdoor seasons, synthesizing the skills they have been acquiring and honing from thier time in San Diego over spring break until now.

Now, the team can look forward to a solid week of practice leading up to the NESCAC meet on their home turf at the Lee track. The meet will start on Saturday morning at 9 a.m.