Women’s golf secures second place at Jack Leaman Tournament

Women’s golf took to the course and competed in the Jack Leaman Tournament last weekend in Amherst, Massachusetts. The tournament was hosted by Amherst College and took place at the Hickory Ridge Golf Club. The course was dry for the most part, but the tournament was played with the rule “lift, clean and place” for the occasions it might be needed. The unpredictable greens made putting inconsistent for the ladies. By the back nine, the wind had picked up and was blowing around 25 mph. The tournament had been reduced from the normal 36 hole layout because the back 18 was deemed unplayable by course officials. Ithaca won the tournament for the third year in a row with a score of 324. Williams was close behind in 325, tying Middlebury for second. New York University was fourth with a score of 330.

“We didn’t play our best,” co-captain Shelby Shote ’15 said. “We could say that the course was bad, which it was; the greens were uneven because they’d tried to grow the grass out to cover the brown, dead spots. The bunkers were bad enough that there was a ‘lift, clean, place’ rule even in the bunkers, which is unusual, as bunkers are technically hazards. The day was dry for the most part due to winds drying out the course, and the high winds really knocked some balls down and made yardages, distance control and aim difficult.” The winner of the tournament was Jordan Glatt of Middlebury, who shot an even par 74. In third was Jamie Gracie of Amherst, who posted 77. Sophie Kitchen ’17 led the Ephs with a 75 (one-over par) and came in second overall. Shelby Shote ’15 and Sarah Hasselman ’17 both shot 83. Tracey Kim ’17 and Elizabeth Gudas ’18 shot 84 and 85, respectively. Co-captain Caroline Sawin ’15, who played as an individual, shot 82. “We are extremely motivated to perform better in our home tournament next weekend,” Shote said. “We are looking forward to focusing on our team goals and performing the way we know we can.”