Men’s lacrosse loses close game to Colby

Last weekend, men’s lacrosse traveled to Waterville, Maine where they suffered a 17-9 defeat to Colby. Goals from Bryson Gilbert-Bono ’16 and co-captain Steven Kiesel ’15 kept a close score of 3-2 at the end of the first quarter. However, the Mules dominated the scoring for the rest of the game. Andy Grabowski ’15 and Kiesel both scored in the second half, but Colby scored three goals in 70 seconds to put themselves up 7-4 at the half. The Ephs were only able to score one goal in the third quarter, notched by Michael Fahey ’17, while the Mules scored four more. Riley Hoffman ’17, Kiesel, Fahey, and Grabowski all scored in the fourth quarter, but this push was not enough and the Ephs dropped the contest, 17-9. Earlier last week, the men broke their losing streak with a strong team victory over Vassar, 17-11 on April 15. Losing by one at the half, the Ephs stepped it up and scored six goals in both the third and fourth quarters to create the decisive win. Khary Dennis ’16 started off the scoring with a goal early in the first quarter.

Vassar quickly responded with two goals of their own before Gilbert-Bono scored for the Ephs. Co-captain Eric Kelley ’15 scored following a Vassar goal to end the first quarter tied 3-3. Hoffman scored to open the second half before Vassar went on a three-goal run. However, Tanner MacIvor ’16 scored with 51 seconds left, leaving the Ephs trailing 5-6 at the half. They weren’t down for long, with Brian Bissell ’18 scoring 15 seconds into the third quarter off an assist from Duncan Cummings ’17. This was the start of a five-goal scoring streak for the Ephs, with goals from Cummings and Grabowski and two goals from Hoffman. Vassar tried to respond, but could not keep up with Williams’ scoring as another goal from Dennis saw the Ephs ahead 11-9 at the end of the third quarter.

Grabowski took control of the game for the Ephs in the final quarter, scoring four more goals. Fahey scored two and the defense was able to keep Vassar to two goals, making the final score 17-11. Next, the men look to redeem themselves in their final regular season game against Middlebury. “We’re looking forward to the game against Middlebury on Wednesday and hopefully winning the Thompson trophy again,” said captain John Maimone-Medwick ’15. “A good win Wednesday will really help with momentum to carry into the NESCAC playoffs.” The men next face off against fellow NESCAC opponent Middlebury at 6 p.m. at home on April 22. The men will then progress to the first round of the NESCAC tournament, which will begin on Saturday. The men’s opponent will be determined following the culmination of the regular season. Wednesday evening.