Men’s baseball splits series against Bates

Baseball (8-14, 3-6 in the NESCAC) earned their first home victory this season on Sunday, taking the first of two games against Bates 3-2 before falling 6-4 in extra innings. Williams lost to Gordon 6-4 on Thursday, but broke a nine game losing streak on Wednesday with a 9-8 victory at RPI.baseball 2

In the first game of Sunday’s doubleheader against Bates, starting pitcher Luke Rodino ’17 held the Bates lineup to just three hits in the opening five innings. The Ephs struggled early at the plate, with their only real scoring opportunity coming in the first inning. Leadoff hitter Luke Pierce ’15 stole second base with one out, but the next two batters struck out, leaving Pierce stranded.

Williams broke through in the fifth inning with hits by Nathan Michalski ’17 and Jackson Parese ’17. Michalski made it home to give the Ephs a 1-0 lead. The Ephs were unable to extend their lead in the sixth.

The Ephs were one out away from sealing the game in the seventh, but a deep hit to center for the Bobcats tied the game. A wild pitch by Rodino brought in the go-ahead score with another runner on third, the Ephs trailing 2-1. With two players hit by pitches and a walk, Williams loaded the bases with Pierce at bat. Pierce crushed a line drive to bring in Michalski and Parese, sealing a 3-2 win for the Ephs.

“Rodino did a great job on the mound for us,” head coach Bill Barrale said, “and we played a clean defensive game.”

In game two of the doubleheader, Williams fell behind in the third inning. The Ephs quickly responded, as Jack Roberts ’17 connected with a double to bring Pierce home. Pierce hit a triple to send home Lev Schechter ’18 to tie the game. Co-captain Phil McGovern ’15 grounded out to give Pierce the chance to reach home and put the Ephs up 3-2.

Bates tied the game in the seventh inning, but Roberts batted in a runner to reclaim the lead. With two outs in the top of the ninth, a deep single to center field allowed the Bobcats to tie up the game. The Ephs were able to stop a runner on third from reaching home but a strong tenth inning gave Bates a 6-4 victory in extra innings.

Williams struggled in Thursday’s matchup against Gordon. Co-captain Tom Murphy ’15 recovered on the mound, only allowing four hits in the next three innings. In the third inning, McGovern hit an RBI to put the Ephs on the board. In the sixth inning Adam Dulsky ’18 hit a double to put two runners in scoring position. Pierce brought Roberts in and Dulsky stole home to shrink the margin to three.

In the next inning, Jack Cloud ’17 hit a ground out to bring Beau Horan ’15 home, putting the Ephs down 6-4. Unfortunately, the Ephs were unable to score again.

“We won eight innings of the game, but we didn’t win the first one. That’s the cruelty of baseball,” Barrale said.

Williams struggled early against RPI, conceding a 7-0 deficit in the first two innings. The Ephs got on the board with an RBI by McGovern. A homer by Pierce shrank the deficit to five. Roberts added a double in the seventh to bring home Adam Regensburg ’18 for a score, and Cloud brought in another run to put the score at 7-6.

In the eighth inning, RPI added a score to pull ahead by two runs. Dulsky singled to get the first run of the inning, and Cloud hit a sacrifice ground out to tie the score. Parese slipped a hit past the third baseman to bring Roberts home. The Ephs held on in the bottom of the ninth to clinch the 9-8 victory.

Results from the men’s game on Tuesday against Skidmore came in too late to report.

Williams will face MCLA next Wednesday at 4 p.m. before travelling to Hamilton to play on Friday at 4 p.m, followed by a doubleheader on Saturday at 12 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. Williams will then face off against RPI on Cole Field at 4 p.m. on Tuesday.