College to reduce cost of Senior Week

Last semester’s College Council (CC) and the Office of Student Life (OSL) have collaborated to significantly reduce the cost of Senior Week, celebrations for the senior class held by the College during the week before Commencement Exercises.

OSL, the primary funder of Senior Week, will now contribute less money to the Entertainment Co-Sponsorship Fund (EComm) in order to cover more of the cost of Senior Week, with CC contributing more to EComm as a result. This decreased cost will be in effect starting with the class of 2016. The College’s ultimate goal is to eliminate the cost to seniors in the near future.

Senior Week cost between $100 and $150 per student prior to these changes in funding, and the event as a whole costs around $65,000. OSL has reduced its funding of EComm from $25,000 per year to $12,500 per year to cover a greater percentage of the Senior Week budget. To defray this decrease in funding, CC has increased its contribution to EComm from $10,000 to $12,500, which marks a net $10,000 reduction in EComm’s budget, decreasing the annual budget from $35,000 to $25,000.

OSL will cover the majority of the $65,000 according to former  CC co-president Erica Moszkowski ’15, by finding reorganizing its budget.

Students on financial aid currently pay for Senior Week on a sliding scale. Senior class officers and OSL have had to plan Senior week with a lower budget and make cuts to accommodate those on financial aid, as the students paying full cost did not pay more to cover those who paid a reduced fee.

Former CC co-presidents Emily Dzieciatko ’15 and Moszkowski noted that decreasing the cost of Senior Week was a goal of CC during the last semester. “Many have felt that it has been unfair to expect students to be paying for such programming that is usually otherwise provided by the school as part of tuition, especially so close to their graduation,” Dzieciatko said. “We thought that it was a priority to reduce this burden off of students. All students should be able to enjoy this week with their classmates.”

Moszkowski also noted that the decrease in Ecomm’s budget should not impact its ability to fund other student events.

“EComm hasn’t really needed all $35,000 it has,” she said. “So though the pot will be smaller next year, we expect the available funds to be able to meet demand for student event planning.”